Homegroup found but can't join

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by peppy, Oct 25, 2009.

1. peppy

peppy Junior Member

I can see the Homegroup on my network but Win 7 under Parallels fails to join. Other machines have joined without a problem. Parallels see the shared directories and devices on the network. I am using bridged mode.

2. rlim168@yahoo.com

rlim168@yahoo.com Bit poster

I have the same issue. My other machines were able to join the homegroup except for the one running in a VM. Anyone found a solution?

3. DionH

DionH Bit poster

Yup, me neither... Anyone out there make it work?

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

For the first, please switch to the Bridged Networking. In the most cases it should help.

The information below relates to the Parallels Desktop 5.0.9220

We have discovered recently a problem with time synchronization of Parallels Desktop 5.0.9220: it is a functionality of Parallels Tools that does synchronization of time and time-zone between Guest OS inside Parallels and Mac OS X host. According to the information I've found in internet it may affect the system that way.

This is already fixed internally and will be available in the nearest updated.

5. rlim168@yahoo.com

rlim168@yahoo.com Bit poster

Hi,

I've updated to 9308 and still couldn't join the homegroup. I'm already in bridged mode. I don't think one can even see the homegroup if not in bridged mode.

Raymond

6. gperfetto

gperfetto Bit poster

Ditto here - is there a solution for this yet?

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    if virtual machine is in Bridged mode, it should work. If it still does not work, please check this recourse .

8. RodneyS

RodneyS Bit poster

I can't join either

Got latest updates

9. softley7

softley7 Bit poster

frustration

I find it frustrating that homegroup and networking does not work properly. The problem is not solved by the suggestions provided so far by parallels technical staff. Come, guys, show us your mettle and provide the community with a parallels software package that works fully.

10. KacieM

KacieM Bit poster

can't join homegroup

I think the solution may be to enable to parallels internet security firewall to allow Homegroup access, but I cannot find Homegroup in the list to allow it. Any ideas?

11. Tim Sauve

Tim Sauve Bit poster

This is indeed frustrating. I am in bridged mode, can see the network, but can't join. I've tried everything suggested here. Homegroup is allowed in the firewall.

Come on, Parrallels Team, offer something else. Let's get this fixed please. Any other ideas to try?

12. R. F.W

R. F.W Bit poster

Did anyone who had this problem resolve it? I continue to have this precise issue wherein my virtual machine (bridged to the airport) sees the homegroup but is unable to join it.

13. MirekE

MirekE Bit poster

Same problem here.

I think the problem is that the virtual machine does not get IP address from my router but address from different subnet, probably provided from Parallels. Is there any way to let the virtual machine use my router as DNS server?

14. ManuilT

ManuilT Bit poster

Problem solved with bridging

I first installed a bootcamp partition with Win 7 64 and was able to join the Homegroup there. Then I rebooted in OS X and and added a virtual machine for the same partition. When I launched it, the Homegroup was gone and I was not able to see any of my network computers.

MirekE's was on the right track. The Parallels' IP address is on a different subnet form the host OS X. But that's what Bridge mode is supposed to do!

So then I followed the I-Che's suggestion to configure bridge mode. I shut down the VM and went into the configurations. From the hardware tab selected the network adapter and set it to a bridge type. Since I am on wireless network (D-Link DIR-655 router) I selected AirPort and generated a new MAC address for a good measure. I left the checkbox empty so that the VM's MAC address is sent out.

In a few short moments I was back on the home network and able to browse all other devices.

I have Parallels 5.0.9370 so a fix may have been part of this build.

15. nfw

nfw Bit poster

No homegroup after updating to P6

i was able to use Homegroup nicely when running Windows 7 64bit under bootcamp.
    I changed to Parallels 6 and changed to a VM (using the bootcamp partition)
    and goodbye homegroups. I was using shared but changed to bridged and nothing changed.
    Not sure if this firewall related or what but it used to work.

16. nfw

nfw Bit poster

No homegroup after updating to P6

i was able to use Homegroup nicely when running Windows 7 64bit under bootcamp.
    I changed to Parallels 6 and changed to a VM (using the bootcamp partition)
    and goodbye homegroups. I was using shared but changed to bridged and nothing changed.
    Not sure if this firewall related or what but it used to work.

17. NephR

NephR Bit poster

Anybody yet?

i haven't found a solution yet!

18. nfw

nfw Bit poster

In Parallels, I had to disable the Norton firewall and use the windows 7 firewall.
    If I am using ethernet cable from my laptop to the router then homegroups work.
    It works for my three Windows 7 machines as long as they are all connected by ethernet cable.
    If I use wireless they don't. There are some articles stated that
    homegroup requires ipv6 but my router has no settings to set this.
    Anyway, maybe its just a firewall issue or maybe its ipv6 under parallels.
    For sure the non-windows firewall is an issue. I am looking for an article
    that describes how to enable homegroup to work under Norton firewall.
    Its probably the homegroup port that is being blocked.

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Thank you for the useful info! In Parallels Desktop 5 IPv6 only works over cable-ethernet.
    Support of IPv6 over AirPort was implemented in PD6 only. I'd appreciate if someone could reply whether it works in PD6 over AirPort

20. ChristosK

ChristosK Bit poster

thats a pretty weak response. I've been trying to get homegroup, basic file sharing feature of windows 7 between computers, to work for ever now. And your not even going to fix this in Parallels 5, just suggest that an upgrade is necessary? If I was going to I'm not now as I don't want to have keep throwing money at a product to support basic functionality....