Uninstalling Parallels 3.0 without install CD

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by prakaash78, Jan 16, 2009.

1. prakaash78

prakaash78 Bit poster

I have Parallels for Mac 3.0 (Build 5584) and need to uninstall it completely. I do not have the downloaded .dmg file and need the uninstall tool to do a clean uninstall.

I found through searching the forum that another user (version 2.xx) with the same issue was provided with a link for the uninstaller. Does this need to be provided by the Parallels support or is it a generic uninstaller that I can use with my version?

TIA

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Worst comes to shove, download 5636, install it then uninstall cleanly with it.

4. DaleE

DaleE Member

Snow Leopard upgrade - How do I manually uninstall V3.0

With Snow Leopard upgrade, I have learned Parallels Desktop v 3.0 (build 5638) will no longer work. Nor can it be uninstalled with the uninstall built in.

So what is the process to manually uninstall Parallels Desktop? I do not want to have to restore everything back to Leopard.

Thanks Dale

5. Dchia8

Dchia8 Bit poster

Will Parallels upgrades 3.0 to be compatible w/ Mac OS 10.6?

6. Youssef J

Youssef J Bit poster

Parallels team,
    Could you give a definitive response to the majority using PD3 in snow leopard?
    Will Parallels upgrades 3.0 to be compatible w/ Mac OS 10.6?
    I bought Version 2, then version 3. do I have to buy a new version each year?
    Please let us know.

7. RobR

RobR Bit poster

Frustrating

Yes, this is very frustrating. I can't install PD4 because my PD3 is suspended and running Windows XP. However, because of Snow Leopard, I can't run it to quit the program. Ugg! I'm going to try and run the uninstaller for PD3 - I hope I have the disc!

8. mIIwaukee

mIIwaukee Bit poster

Please Help?

Any insight on this? The uninstall desktop.app crashes instantly in Snow Leopard. What to do?

9. RobR

RobR Bit poster

Solution?

What I had to do was to delete the file under Applications and also under the Library. This uninstalled the program but now I am somewhat forced to upgrade to 4. The bigger problem was that now my copy of XP is gone. I do happen to have one at home so I'm off the hook but be warned. I wish there was an update from these guys or some type of support.

10. JoseM

JoseM Bit poster

Removing 3.0

Any updates. This seems a little ridiculous that we cannot even remove the application so we can upgrade or install version 4.0.

I don't seem to be having these problems with VMWare. I am glad I got it when I did.

Anyway, any ideas on when there will be a patch?

Thanks!

11. JoseM

JoseM Bit poster

Seriously, any ideas when this will be fixed? I need to uninstall 3.x so I can use the 4.0 license that I have.

FWIW, I didn't have this issue using VMWare Fusion on my other machine. Just saying. Another reason for me to consider using Fusion on both machines if this won't get fixed.

12. RowalanM

RowalanM Bit poster

I am using 10.6 and have had the same problem have, I installed a trial version of parallels 4.0. The installation informed me that it will remove 3.0. Which is good. As soon as the installation finished, i uninstalled 4.0. This worked for me.

13. scrandall

scrandall Bit poster

Installing Parallels 4.0 Upgrade Fix

Here is what I did that worked. I went into the Library and User/Library and deleted the Parallels folders. Then I went into the Applications folder and the Shared User folder (or where ever you have your files) and compressed both the Parallels folders there. Once these were compressed I launched the installer. As soon as the installer got to where it identified the hard drive to install onto (past where it used to ask me to quit the prior running version) I uncompressed the two Parallels folders and then continued the installation. It worked flawlessly and saved my prior Windows OS and all my apps and docs.

14. ChelseaL

ChelseaL Bit poster

Has anyone found an easier solution? Just uninstalled Parallels 4, and am now trying to uninstall Parallels 3, as it won't run with my Mac OS X.6.2. Really want to get this software off my computer...when I try running the uninstall, it unexpectedly quits.

15. FlaSheridn

FlaSheridn Bit poster

Boot warnings

I can’t run the 3.0 uninstaller either under Snow Leopard, and it seems important to do so. I’ve enabled verbose booting ('sudo nvram boot-args="-v"'), and at boot get warnings that Parallels is violating some OSX rules.
    The article at http://kb.parallels.com/4709 doesn’t seem to apply to my installation, e.g., vmmain.kext isn’t present.

16. J Kelly

J Kelly Bit poster

I am running snow leopard/10.6.8 and after that osx upgrade a while ago I've had non-working parallels 3 installed. I keep coming back to this occasionally to try and uninstall in normal way but it's not working and doesn't seem possible, as per above comments. I don't need parallels or any windows files and just want to get rid of it and get the 32G of disk space back. Can I just trash all parallels related folders (applications folder, documents folder, library folder), presumably get my disk space back, and go my merry way? Anything else I'd need to do to reclaim the 32G for normal use? Are there any possible repercussions I should be aware of?

Thanks.

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The 32 GB are likely taken by a Virtual Machine, normally in /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels, not Parallels the program itself, if you don't need this VM or anything inside it you can delete the .pvm.

18. J Kelly

J Kelly Bit poster

Thanks. There is no .pvm file (at least not readily apparent) but there is a "users / username / documents / parallels / Microsoft Windows XP" folder and within it there are .hdd (32G), .mem, .pvs, .fdd files as well as Windows Applications and Windows Disks folders. So I assume just delete all this and I'm good to go. Yes?

Just being cautious before I do anything because, as I'm sure we've all done, don't want to do something and then realize I should have done something else first but cannot go back. (Such as installing snow leopard before uninstalling parallels 3!)

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Well yes, I guess in PDM 3 it wasn't packaged in .pvms, yes that folder is the equivalent to the .pvm in the current versions, it's your Windows virtual machine with the virtual disk (.hdd) and settings.