USB Dongles

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Goodwinltg, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Goodwinltg

Goodwinltg Bit poster

I am having a hard time connecting a program dongle. I insert the dongle and a message comes up stating that it is being used by another process. I have tried to activate it's use by the menu option and the icon at the bottom of the parallels window.

Please advise on how to install the dongle and activate it so the program in question "sees" it.

Thanks, Glen

goodwinltg@mac.com

2. Hiohokaybye

Hiohokaybye Junior Member

there are solutions for that

There are two ways for that, if ure trying accest to the usb drive, you can either, use the shared folder tool. If you have already install it you can share a folder on ure mac w/ windows. So basicly you have to have the usb in the computer and open up parallel, go to edit, and than shared folder, you choose the USB folder and added into that and be sure it's enabled. Than you can simply copy and paste file on the usb drive (make sure that the usb is in the drive whenever ure using it!!)

If you dont have the Parallels Tools install, open up parallels, and start up ure xp. Than you go up to the mac start bar, than click on VM, and install Parallels Tool. When ure done w/ that just do the exactly same thing on the top.

P.S. It actually took me a long time to figure this out too, i know how you feel..!! :D

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

All of which has nothing at all to do with dongles.

You may have some luck turning on auto-connect. Failing that, if you can figure what OSX component is grabbing the dongle, you might be able to disconnect it, and failing that, you will have to wait for full USB support from Parallels, which is promised, but not here yet.

4. Goodwinltg

Goodwinltg Bit poster

Thanks for the help. Yes I have activated the "auto-connect" and still the same message. I cannot seem to find what program might be holding the dongle. In fact, I cannot seem to get any of the USB items to click on... I do have tools installed.

On another note, does anyone know if you can increase the amount of ram beyond the 1500? I have a visualtion program that wants to see a minimum of 2k and will not install/run without more ram.

Thanks for the help.

I guess I will have to wait for upgrades.

Glen

5. Hiohokaybye

Hiohokaybye Junior Member

Goodwinltg, Just do wut i told you to, that's how i got mine's working!

6. mcqueary

mcqueary Member

He's talking about a USB dongle, not a USB drive. Many high-end professional software applications use a USB dongle as a license enforcement tool, to ensure that only one user on one computer is using the software. It's like a thumb drive, in that it's a little key-sized device with a USB connector, but it doesn't have a filesystem (generally speaking) and therefore your shared drive idea would not work in this instance.