RETRACTION - Most unstable MAC app I have ever used

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fairfact, Jan 23, 2007.

1. fairfact

fairfact Bit poster

Mea culpa. Mea culpa. I did not realize the distinction between "Beta Builds" and "Non Beta Builds".
    As suggested by WINGDO (Many thanks), I have 'gone back' and reloaded Build 1970, and the Parallels that I enjoying using seems to be back. So thanks to Wingdo for pointing out my error. And thanks and apologies to Parallels. My previous post was, no doubt, an expression of my frustration. I'll skip the betas and wait for the next major release.

2. drval

drval Pro

It would be good to post this same note as the "end" note of the other thread that you started. It really sums up the issue -- and solution -- quite clearly; and that would be important for those who scan the other thread to also see.

3. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

Good to hear your issues have been resolved. I also returned to build 1970 after testing each successive release, including 3120 RC1. For Debian-based GNU/Linux distros (such as Ubuntu), the stability and performance of 1970 is far superior on my iMac. I've been tempted to create an informational thread recommending sticking with 1970 unless you need specific features introduced more recently or simply enjoy helping with product testing.

Build 1970 is amazingly fast and stable for me with Debian Etch, and worked well for all the various *buntu distros, as well as other linux distros such as CentOS. Since the 1970 codebase seems so stable, perhaps they could fold it into the next release as a "compatibility mode" option for users who don't need coherence etc.

4. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Yeah, I'd never want to use the Betas from Parallels in a work environment. They are much more like Alphas and the Release Candidates are more like Betas. Unless you don't mind dealing with the possibility of things getting totally borked (sorry for the technical term) I'd stick with 1970.

Glad it's working out for you now Fairfact.

5. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Member

It sounds like you are talking about Windows there ;)

Unfortunately, Parallels is somewhat at the mercy of the operating systems it runs. I have had some issues that I would blame on Parallels, but I wouldn't generally say that the quality of any given type of release is below what it should be. I would say that by nature things are prone to instability.

6. jkneen

jkneen Member

3120 is fine for here and good enough for me to use for day to day work - my MBP is my main machine now and used with XP and Office 2007. The odd crash yes but not enough to get my arse in a twist over and bitch about Parallels support. It's a beta so what else do people expect?