After updating to MAC OS build 9344 (german)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NorbertN, Mar 12, 2010.

1. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Error: After updating to MAC OS build 9344 of Parallels 5 (german)

Hi,

after updating from build-9308 to build-9344 I will get every time an error when starting outlook-2007 (on windows 7) stating

"Your standard e-mail-directory can not be opened. The server is not available. ..."

(in german: "Ihre Standard-E-Mail-Ordner können nicht geöffnet werden. Der Server steht nicht zur Verfügung. Bitte wenden Sie sich an Ihren Administrator.")

Any recommendations, suggestions, or hints?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Norbert

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Your internet connection is working - can you use a browser to open websites?

3. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Hi,
    the internet connection is working - the web browser, eg. firefox 3.5.8., can establisch new sessions to different web-sites.
    Regards,
    Norbert

4. Norman (ger)

Norman (ger) Bit poster

The same happens on my Win7 machine. It seems that the programs do not have write access on the network (home) directories. The database of my banking software behaves the same.

Thank god I have time machine :) After restoring the backup, I think now, that the Parallels Tools are to blame. My restored machine worked fine until it found the new version of pt on the disc and installed it automatically. then the error occured again.

now i wiped all parallels software fom my mac (programs / library / user library) and restored all this from my backup. it all works fine again.

Parallels-Team, do you have this error in sight? And when can we hope for a bugfix?

Norbert, if you need further help (perhaps in german ;-), antworte ruhig auf diesen Post :)
    Norman

5. Tasty10

Tasty10 Bit poster

Same on my machine. After downgrading to 9308 everthing works fine again. Gerade erst gesehen, daher jetzt in deutsch. Scheint ein generelles Problem zu sein. Habe daneben noch das Problem dass beim Speichern einer Datei im Home-Verzeichnis die Datei scheinbar kaputt geschrieben wird bzw. nicht mehr zu öffnen ist.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  6. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

After further investigations, it seems to me build 9344 contains a lot of more bugs. So far I didn't get any feedback from Parallels (ID 3832584).

Regards, Norbert

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Habt ihr eure .pst-Dateien auf den shared folders gesichert? Die sehen für Windows wie Netzwerklaufwerke aus. Sind die vielleicht jetzt schreibgeschützt? (Meine nicht...)

8. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

I have the same problem. How does one downgrade?

9. Norman (ger)

Norman (ger) Bit poster

Phesopheon, do you have Backup?

10. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

yes. I will use the backup. Thank you Norman.

11. Norman (ger)

Norman (ger) Bit poster

Phesopheon, I deleted and restored the folling things:

1. the Parallels software and the Parallels folder in "programs";
    2. the parallels folder in harddrive -> library;
    3. the parallels folder in harddrive -> username -> library -> preferences
    4. the virtual machine itself (only the ones that i had started after installing the upgrade.

Good luck :)

12. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Meine *.pst Dateien sind unter dem \.psf Directory gespeichert. Die Datei Outlook.pst hat die Attribute 644. Die Daten archive.pst hat ebenfalls die Attribute 644. Eine temporäre Änderung auf 666 für beide Dateien hat keinen Fortschritt gebracht. Alle chmod()-Änderungen wurden unter MAC-OS x 10.6.2 direkt vorgenommen. Unter WIN7 habe ich selbst keine direkte Änderung der Zugriffsattribute vorgenommen.

Im Detail liegen meine *pst-Dateien folgenden Directories auf dem WIN7 System:

\Home on '.psf'\Documents\Backups\

Temporär hatte ich auch die Zugriffsattribute die das Backup- und das Documents-Directory auf 777 gesetzt. Trotzdem kann OUTLOOK-2007 nicht auf die *.pst Files zugreifen.

... ?

Besten Dank.
    Gruss,
    Norbert

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Würde mich wundern, wenn sich Windows um die Unix-Rechteattribute von OS X kümmerte. Kannst du denn auf die .psf-Dateien zugreifen, wenn sie auf der "lokalen" Platte (also der virtualisierten Festplatte der VM) liegen?

14. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Die Dateien outlook.pst und archive.pst habe ist versuchsweise von \\.psf\.. in den "virtualized" VM-Bereich C:\Users\NN\AppData\Local\Mocrosoft\Outlook\ kopiert. Outlook-2007 kann auf die *.pst Files nicht zugreifen. Die *.pst Files konnten von dem Priotecs Office-Backup-Tool gelesen werden. Somit gehe ich erst einmal davon aus, dass die *.pst Files nicht defekt sind.

15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hi Norbert,
    the large .pst files are not readable even when you put them on the local (virtual) HD? I'm not running Outlook on my VM so I can't test, but I know these files are biiiig mothers (often > 1 GB). What is happening exactly - does Outlook not "see" the files or does it give you the error message you quoted at the beginning of this thread, "Your standard e-mail-directory can not be opened. The server is not available. ..."?

Cheers,
    k.

16. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

17. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Hi,

the exact size of outlook.pst is currently 3.8 GB. As I mentioned before, OUTLOOK-2007 shows right away the error-messages which I stated at the beginning "The server can not read ...". Any suggestions where to store the *.pst files?

The question is, what has been changed between 5.0.9308 and 5.0.9344? Any hope, that Parallels might provide a bugfix or an adequate work-around for this issue in the shortterm?

thx in advance,
    Norbert

18. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Hi Parallels,

I'm quite annoyed how Parallels is still ignoring these serious problem reports regarding the build 5.0.9344 within the forums. (ID 3832584)

It seems to me, that the only way is, to file an official complaint in writing to ask your CEO, Serguel Beloussov, and your CTO, Matt Domo, for their management attention and support in theses cases. Is this way of escalation really necessary?

Sincerely,
    NorbertN.

19. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. We are aware of the problem. We are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
    Alexander

20. NorbertN

NorbertN Bit poster

Hi Parallels Development/Support,

how long it will take to get a resilient bug fix release? Regarding these kind of business critical errors within 5.0.9344 a downgrade to 5.0.9308 might not be an option. The loss of use still have a serious financial impact. Due to quality and the content of your customer communication, I'll ask your CEO for support.

Sincerely,
    Norbert N.