After upgrade, XP doesn't read correctly big files on shared directories

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GiampaoloS, Mar 15, 2010.

1. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

This doesn't make too much sense.

After the upgrade, using the VERY SAME configuration of the previous version, Windows XP Pro seems not able to read or to "understand" the files correctly. Well, more in detail.

I run Outlook 2007 using a PST which resides on a network directory (let's say X:\mail, which seats on my mac drive), this file is a 600Mb file (so not so big). After the update, Outlook is not able to recognize anymore the PST file, saying that is not a Personal File Type.

I tried this other way. I copied the file to the local disk and I added the data file to Outlook manually, and it works ok. It seems that somehow, while reading big files from the shared directories, something get lost. The file is ok, but can't be read properly. The copy of the file works ok.

Even if I redo the network drive mapping, same results.

This problem doesn't occurs while opening and working with smaller size files.

This is a HUGE problem. Please, help!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Here some of the additional info required in another post

1. Mac OS Version

2. Parallels Build #

3. What kind of computer
    MBP 2.8Ghz

4. Total Physical RAM
    8Gb

5. Hard Drives
    500GB Sata, 7200rpm

6. If you are using a BootCamp configuration or not
    no, historical win xp image

7. Did you upgrade from a BETA
    no, not this time, very clean install of 5.x version.

8. With what Build did the problem start

9. If Parallels Tools are installed
    2 times, just to be sure

10. Anything you have tried to get things working
    tried reinstalling the parallels tools, recreate the network drive (with the mapped directory), repaired disk and permission (with no negative results)

11. Anything specific about your set-up you think we should know
    nothing special, most of the files I use on this image resides on network drives sharing mac folders.

12. If you are crashing, upload some crash logs
    no crashes, just unable to have the PST recognized.

13. If you are getting an error message type it in and then attach a screenshot.
    the PST file is not a Personal File Type. (if I copy the file on the local drive of the image, it works ok, but is NOT a solution unfortunately).

14. If you are having issues with a specific component (i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor) tell us what it is.
    Network and Drives.

3. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

GiampaoloS, many of us are having problems opening Outlook pst files on shared folders since the 9344 upgrade. I think its related to the way Outlook accesses or links to files, not the size of the file. I can't open even small (<10MB) pst files, but have no problems opening much larger (>100MB) spreadsheets. Please add your voice to the growing Outlook thread in the forum.

Parallels was advised of this issue 5 days ago, but so far has not even had the courtesy of acknowledging the issue.

Peter O.

4. Thomas Goerke

Thomas Goerke Bit poster

I am having the same problem. Following the recent upgrade I have been unable to access any of my PST files but after copying them to C: they are accessible. This is quite annoying as I have circa 20 PST files and do not wish to store them on C: but instead keep them in /Documents/PST.

Any help appreciated in resolving this asap.

Thanks

Tom

5. Ivor K

Ivor K Bit poster

I have an almost identical setup to what is described in the second post. But the problem surfaced the first time when I upgraded to 5.0.9308.543312. I then upgraded again to 5.0.9344 hoping it would take the problem away, but it persisted. My problem is somewhat different, not sure if it has to do with big files. I run Embedded Visual Studio C++ and suddenly started having problems loading the resource file. The eVC4 project resides on my mac drive that is mapped as x: After making a local copy of the project on c:, problem is resolved.

I also had problems with some flexlm licences also on x: that suddenly stopped working. These are very small files.

6. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

I was not able to find the Outlook thread. Please may you post the link?

BTW, the problem is not only with Outlook, is a shared network problem. It occurs also with Video files...

7. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

8. Ivor K

Ivor K Bit poster

9. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Ivor, I don't think the thread 95913 is related to the same problem of the shared folder.

Friend of mine is saying that doing a clean uninstall / install of Parallels (uninstalling the 9308 and after installing 9344) doesn't bring the problem. It works of for him. I have to double check which kind of directory he use and the deepness of his path.

10. Ivor K

Ivor K Bit poster

Well I had 9308 on my machine, uninstalled it and then installed 9344 and the problem stayed.

11. griffdb

griffdb Member

I just upgraded to 9344. I can no longer read pst files that exist on shared folders from my Mac. The work around is to copy the files onto my virtual machine drive. I am using Windows 7 32-bit and Outlook 2007. I hope they make a fix to this.

12. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Additional details for the Parallels Guys:

it is very strange, but this problem occurs only with Outlook 2007. Outlook 2003 seems to work ok opening PST on shared folders...

13. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. We are aware of the problem. We are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
    Alexander

14. ShaunR

ShaunR Bit poster

Same problem with Serif pageplus files too:-(

15. Carlos Romero

Carlos Romero Bit poster

Do you have an ETA to fix the PST problems in Outlook 2007? It's been 5 days since this problem occurred and it definitely affects my productivity.
    Also please post the work around if any or the steps to downgrade to the previous version.

16. alexg

Hi,

The problem related to PST files if it is resides on Shared Folders only. To temporary fix the problem just move your .PST files to the Windows disk C:\TempSolutionForPST for example. As fix will be available you will be able to return it back to the shared folder.

As usual PST files are resides in Mac home directory -> Documents -> Microsoft -> Outlook

Alexander

17. Matthew Bourne

Matthew Bourne Bit poster

This problem also effects CorelDraw files - you can open them but if you save the file back to the shared drive, it crashes the programme and corrupts the data, losing it forever!!

18. ShaunR

ShaunR Bit poster

Affecting several colleagues now as well

The inability to save any largish files to a shared drive has now got several colleagues and myself using memory sticks rather than saving to disk.

It has cost us hours in reproducing work in corrupted files.

I can't believe that this has been allowed to happen - it's a pretty fundamental problem when any large file saved to your hard drive corrupts. Shocking that this is part of a major update and incredibly disappointing how slow Parallels seems to be reacting to the problems.

At the very least instructions on how to go back to the previous working versions would be useful.

An apology would be nice too!

19. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Shaun, I do agree with you... unfortunately when companies are getting bigger and successful, they just FORGET how the customers should be treated.. They just don't remember how it was while they were a startup. They will never apologize with us, we are the people upgrading with trust, being sure that the new update will bring stability, speediness, and commercials.. spreading the word to our friends and colleagues. They tend to forget this.

That's why I believe new startups are good. Because they treat you like a human being. And CHANGING IS GOOD, you know, especially while we are treated like in this way.

BTW, if you want downgrade, just download the previous build and install it. It will refresh also the parallels tools to the correct version, paired with the right build.

PARALLELS WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AN E.T.A. ON THE RESOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM. THANK YOU.

20. alexg

Dear ShaunR and GiampaoloS,

Please be patient. Please read the posts carefully. Please use the previous build for awhile.

Alexander