No XP Mode in Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TaliC, Mar 17, 2010.

1. TaliC

TaliC Bit poster

Hello,

I've just installed a VM with Win7 and need to use XP mode for my company's database. But I get an error trying to run the XP virtualization and a message that I need at least a Pentium II in order to run XP mode.

Did anyone had this problem and knows a solution?

Many thanks,

Tali

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

afaik you can't virtualize a machine on a host that is itself virtualized. Ergo you can't run Windows 7's XP virtualisation (which is essentially VirtualPC). If you need XP, why don't you set up a separate VM with XP on it? That's the beauty of virtualisation, you can run multiple VM's at the same time.

3. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Talic,

I'm afraid you'll not be able to run the XP Mode having your Win7 running in parallels. For one reason. XP Mode run with an internal virtualized environment (If I'm not wrong, they use the core of VirtualPC to achieve this) and is tough to have a virtual environment running in a virtual environment.

Would be more easy for you to setup an XP Image with Parallels, which can be used in parallel with your Win7.

4. TaliC

TaliC Bit poster

Yes, obviously this is what I will do. I preferred to work just with one Windows environment, but can understand the difficulty.
    Many thanks for the answer. Now I know what I need to do.