Eudora no longer working since last Parallels update (9344)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Andreas Becherer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Andreas Becherer

Andreas Becherer Bit poster

Hi there...

I have spent all day trying to track down a problem that I think could have to do with the latest Parallels update.

I am using Eudora 7 on WIndows XP in my Parallels machine, and over the last weekend, after having installed the latest Parallels update on Friday, Eudora started having problems receiving mails. Now, although support for Eudora is hard to come by anymore, it seems to boil down to file access.

The past years I have been running Eudora with a mail folder on the network (on my local Mac drive) for easier backup. And after all this testing today it turns out that exactly is the problem today. Because a local mail folder inside my XP machine seems to work nicely. Unfortunately that was the last thing on my mind to test.

Now I'm wondering - am I the only one with this problem ? Or the only one with this setup ?
    And is my hunch correct - are any of the latest performance updates in Parallels prone to have caused a problem with Eudora operating on a networked folder from my Mac ?
    I sthere something I can do about this ? Or do I have to keep running Eudora with a local data folder ?

Any insight you might have in this would be appreciated.

2. Ebn Ozn

Ebn Ozn Bit poster

Same problem here, although it's with Outlook 2007 and my offline folder stored on a Mac folder (shared, as Z:\foldername).

Something has changed with the folder sharing with the recent update (and/or corresponding Parallels Tools update)

3. LotharL

LotharL Bit poster

Same problem here - Eudora no longer displayed incoming mails after installing Parallels update build 5.0.9344 German version.
    I fixed the problem by transferring my Eudora mail account installation directories from the shared partition to the virtual-machine-only partition.
    Directories for attachments remained on the shared partition - no problems occured with downloading attachments.

cf. http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=14965&highlight=inbox

4. StephenM

StephenM Bit poster

Same problem here. Also, I found that downloading files to the desktop with Firefox (running under Windows), the lengths of the files was wrong (and, of course, the files were corrupted and would not run). It seems that the problem has to do with files having the wrong length. In the Eudora log file, there were lines (see below) that didn't appear in the log when the problem wasn't occurring that I think mean that Eudora had an idea of where the end of the file should be, but the OS was telling it that the end was earlier. Both problems went away when I revert back to release 9308.

MAIN 128: 2.15 LOGNULL Seeking past end of In.mbx (SEEK_SET) 13357 > 11515
    MAIN 128: 2.15 LOGNULL _chsize() growing file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Active\Eudora\In.mbx 13357 > 11515
    MAIN 128: 2.15 LOGNULL JJFileMT::Close() \\.psf\Home\Documents\Active\Eudora\In.mbx, Size: 11515

5. Andreas Becherer

Hello, Parallels ? Someone listening ?

Could someone from Parallels support please react to this ? Any kind of reaction ?

From what I can see, there have been several reports of problems in the new build with creating and modifying files on host volumes. All pretty much along the lines of files being able to be created, but no longer modified afterwards ?

So, this does not look like an isolated incident, and I would really appreciate someone at your end at least showing any kind of reaction...

6. StephenM

StephenM Bit poster

Robert Firth (on these forums) emailed me for instructions about how to revert to a previous version (I'd tried to post instructions here, but those posts never showed up). He said 'By the way, a Parallels tech person emailed to say they have "elevated" the "ticket" on this issue.' So maybe something will happen.

7. Andreas Becherer

problem worsening, still no reaction from Parallels staff ?

just from browsing thourgh the latest threads here, I can easily spot lots of problems along the lines of this one here. Now even Microsoft Word and Visual Studio have stopped working with network files under the latest Parallels build.

I really don't know your code, but am I seriously the only seeing a pattern here ?
    It's been two weeks, and we haven't even heard one single official word... it's a little disappointing, to say the least.

8. I-che

I-che Pro