Build 3120 and Leopard 9A343

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by UKP, Jan 19, 2007.

1. UKP

UKP Member

I realise Leopard is still in beta, but whenever I try to open Parallels Desktop, the app just crashes and requests I send a report to Apple.

Is it reasonable to expect Parallels Desktop to work with Leopard at this stage? If so, any workarounds or information I can provide to get it working?

2. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

It should be compatible with Leopard. Parallels have been boasting about Leopard compatibility since the build 1970.

3. thingi

thingi Bit poster

I've had no probs since 1970 in the big L (apart from the toolbar colour bug but that was fixed ages ago)

thingi

4. dbrashear

dbrashear Bit poster

Go back to 3036.

5. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

UKP,
    9A343 does not load Parallels 3120 build and in fact produces crash log in /Library/Parallels/Bugreports.. At present there are NO workarounds for this combination. I believe that earlier versions of PW will work with 9A343 but I can't verify that.

BTW, you really shoudn't be posting about Leopard beta builds on this public forum. Assuming that you got the build through legitimate sources you have violated your NDA.

I realize that this is frustrating and the first thought is to ask other in this forum if they are experiencing the same issues you are but the best course of action is to file bug reports with Apple and Parallels.

HTH,
    Peter

6. UKP

UKP Member

I disagree about breaking the NDA, simply because it is public knowledge that build 9A343 is available.

Anyway, I shall report the problem to Parallels, but initially didn't want to waste their time if it was just myself experiencing the problem.

7. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

While it may be public knowledge that 9A343 is "available" the people to whom its available to are forbidden to talk about the fact that they have use of it by thier NDA. Yuu might want to read the doc you signed. Apple has demonstarted their lack of sense of humor about this issue a number of times. Its not at all uncommon for beta testers to have their agreements poulled by Apple for what would seem to be silly insignificant mentions of beta products.
    Rather than go on and on about this, I would suggest a little light reading to refresh your memory. Its spelled out prettty clearly in no uncertain terms that by mentioning you have access to 9A343 or are using it, in a public forum, you are in violation of your agreement.
    I'm not trying to bust anyone's stones here, believe me. I just hate to see people lose beta tester privilages for soemthing as silly as a slipped mention of a product.

Cheers,
    Peter

8. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

It is a tricky situation though, as getting through to Parallels isn't the easiest thing in the world. For example, this is of course completely hypothetical, suppose I was evaluating Parallels using the beta and discovered that is crashed on launch under 9A343, and had logged a bug with Apple but wanted to let Parallels know about the issue, the support page only offers an FAQ or support for registered users. If I have not bought the product yet I'm not registered.

Being a brave optimist I might go ahead and buy the full product, and then discover that the current release works ok under 9A343 (clearly I must be making this up...), and so now I don't have a problem to report. So how do you make sure that the team knows about the problem in the beta? It would be very sad to have an awesome update that could not work with an up coming system update, because nobody was allowed to talk about the issue.

9. drval

drval Pro

You send your note to beta@parallels.com, which is where they have requested specific bug reports and such to go. That doesn't resolve your issue with Apple apparently but, then again, you've asked about the Parallels side, not the Apple side of this issue.

10. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

Thanks for the beta email address, I found that elsewhere on the forum too. I dropped them a line on the off chance that they haven't read this thread.

11. drval

drval Pro

Perfect -- let's see what happens next.