Out of System Resources or Memory Error Since Installing 9344

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PeterO, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cnquinn

cnquinn Bit poster

Outlook problems as well

I've got a similar problem since install the latest build. When i try to open Outlook, i get an error message that says...

"Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your admin if this condition persists".

I renamed the PST file hoping Outlook would prompt me to find a new PST file. I then planned to point it at my old PST file. When I did this, I got the system resources error mentioned above.

This is very frustrating and disappointing. I will be much more careful installing new Parallels builds in the future.

2. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

Same problem here -- wasted a few hours today trying to fogure this out. Is there a solution besides downgrading?

3. SriniV

SriniV Bit poster

Wasted time and lost productivity

One would hope that Parallels would either issue a patch or provide some proactive notification and workaround to customers about this issue so that they are not wasting time trying to find a resolution.

I spent several hours trying to address the issue, no thanks to my less than stellar troubleshooting skills it appears, before finding this post -- thanks to everyone on this thread for making the user community aware of this issue and for suggesting workarounds.

I used the write to local disk as opposed to shared disk workaround. The Parallels support site appears not to have versions prior to 9344 available for download (even after logging into the site as a paid user).

Note: I did try searching using the same keywords that directed me to this forum article over the weekend suspecting the Parallels upgrade but either missed it in the search results or it didn't show up for some reason. "parallels outlook pst" pulls this article up as the third entry on Google search at this time.

4. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

5. cnquinn

cnquinn Bit poster

same problem (I think)... but different error message

After installing 9344, I tried to open Outlook and got the following message:

"Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your admin if this condition persists".

I didn't have my PST file in the default Outlook directory. I have it on a shared document folder on my Mac.

I reinstalled a prior version of Parallels (9308) and now it works again. I'm still a bit worried that Parallels wants to update the tools. Does anyone know if that will break Outlook again? Or am i safe if i have 9308 installed?

6. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

Problem is not only with PST

It seems that the problem is related with the way some apps (including Outlook, BEA Workspace 10.2, sometimes VLC, etc.) are handling the files from shared network folders. It seems that they are not opening and reading the files correctly. They do read the files, but the content is corrupted.

I opened two PR to Parallels and asked via chat to escalate both with customer support. They told me they are looking at the problem but no solutions so far rather than copy the files on the local disk image. Which is unacceptable for almost all of us.

Let's see, meanwhile, downgrading right now! (thanks to who posted the link to the previous WORKING build)

gp

7. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

If you copy the .PST files to the C: drive everything works.

8. Botnik

Botnik Bit poster

Hi All,

Thanks for the forum posts - glad to know I'm not alone.
    I have the same problem...just posting to commiserate with you all.

Auto updated to 9344 but Outlook would not open and aborted with error message "The set of folders cannot be opened. The server is not available. Contact your system administrator if this condition persists."

Other MS-Office files (Excel, Word appear to work OK - at least the app opens) under 9344.

Used Time Machine backup & restored to prior version 9310 - all is well again.
    Tried this twice (Auto update from 9310 -> 9344) with same bad results.

My system:
    Late 2009 MacBook Pro - 4GB RAM;
    OS-X Snow Leopard v10.6.2;
    Parallels 5 build 9310;
    Windows XP - SP3;
    Cisco VPN (Windows v4.0.3 (A));
    MS-Office 2007.

Will be using build 9310 until I hear otherwise on this forum.

9. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. We are aware of the problem. We are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
    Alexander

10. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Can you please provide us with problem reports, they are required for investigation and will help developers to find the root of the issue.

To generate the report please do the following:

1) Start Virtual machine
    2) Start issued application and reproduce error message
    3) Parallels Desktop help -> Report a problem -> and send us ID
    Please post ID here
    Thank you for your cooperation.

11. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

I am pleased that Parallels has finally acknowledged this problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't function with this problem and had to roll back to build 9308, so I am not able to easily reproduce the error message. I did submit an error report prior to downgrading. Judging from the response on this forum, I would expect this problem would be quite easy to reproduce. You just need to try opening a .pst file in a shared folder using Outlook 2007 (several of us have tried upgrading to 9344 a second time, and still experience the issue). Let me know if you can't reproduce the bug, and I will upgrade, reproduce the error for you, and then downgrade again until a solution is available.
    Cheers,
    Peter O.
    Cheers,
    Peter O.

12. JeanVis

JeanVis Junior Member

same here, cannot report on the error as I had to revert back to version 9308 to be able to get some work done ...

13. alexg

Thank you very much. We are reproduced the problems with "Out of resources..." and "Server not available...". I appreciate your help.

Alexander

14. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

"Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The server is not available. Contact admin.

Have Parallels Desktop build 9344 (the latest).
    Have Windows 7 installed in Parallels.

As soon as installed the latest build (this morning), I am having problems with Outlook 2010.
    It CANNOT find any .pst's and will not open. (My .pst's are in my Mac folder.)
    I manually try to open .pst' but wouldn't open either.

Communication between Parallels/Win7 and Mac seems to be fine. I tried opening a document file in a Mac documents folder, via Microsoft Word. Word opened the file perfectly ok.

I tested copying a .pst into PC's folders, into AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Outlook, and tried opening .pst, but it will NOT OPEN!

PLEASE HELP.
    I can't work...

15. DennisL

DennisL Bit poster

Problem for me too.
    MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
    Windows 7 VM, Office 2010

Trying to open the PST file from the mapped network drive from my Mac's "Documents" folder.

Problem ID#4056422

16. alexg

Hi,

The problem related to PST files if it is resides on Shared Folders only. To temporary fix the problem just move your .PST files to the Windows disk C:\TempSolutionForPST for example. As fix will be available you will be able to return it back to the shared folder.

As usual PST files are resides in Mac home directory -> Documents -> Microsoft -> Outlook

Alexander

17. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

To those with the "large file" problem - if you don't have enough room on your C: drive, perhaps you could create a new virtual hard disk within your VM where you'll then store those large files.

18. think

think Bit poster

same issue here

I opened a case # and verified that the problem was not related to PGP (not installed) as suggested and it's not related to Outlook patch requirements (already done). It is related to a change that inadvertently made it through testing in the latest release of //'s 5. I will revert to the earlier version via TM when I have an opportunity as I'm not comfortable storing data inside the VM...that's why I configured it for shared folders in the first place.

19. GennadyD

GennadyD Junior Member

The workaround with moving OL files to local disk is not good for everyone e.g. those with complex backup scheme or it requires major hassle with copying files back and forth daily.
    I am waiting for fix using currently 9308 and rejecting the upgrade.
    Given the "macro" scale of the problem and easy reproducing I assume it won't take long time to fix.
    Good luck, Parallels, and please please improve your testing process that bugs of such level will not appear in public build.

20. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

This solution DOES NOT WORK FOR ME

Hi there Alexander,

I have just copied my Outlook .pst's into Local Disk (C:), and opened Outlook.
    The below solution DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

I receive the same message as before.
    "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this problem persists."

My .pst's are not very big. One big one is around 200mb.
    As before, no problems opening anything from a SHARED Mac folder.
    [Microsoft Word opening a document from the same folder where my .pst's are.]

I cannot even open Outlook full stop because .pst's will not open for some reason.
    Is there any chance the bug could have corrupted my .pst's ????!!!!

Any ideas?

Please do prioritise this problem. That would be most sincerely appreciated.