TIF files cannot be opened by applications on Host computer

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BartK, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BartK

BartK Bit poster

Dear forum,

I've recently downloaded the latest update (build 5.0.9344) for Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and installed without incident. However, if I create a TIF file from an application called SuperFlip which runs on Windows XP on the Virtual machine and save that file directly to the Mac's desktop, Photoshop (on the Mac) cannot open the file. The message appears: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognise this type of file". If I first save the file to Windows XP desktop and then drag to the Host computer's desktop (i.e. the Mac), I can then open it. I've never had this problem prior to the latest update.

Technical Support suggested the following steps, but my settings already complied.
    1. Launch Parallels Desktop==>DO not start the virtual machine.

2.On the top menu bar click on Virtual Machine==>Configure==>Options==>Shared folders and make the changes as shown in the below link.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22694.htm

3.Also go to Shared application and make the changes as shown below:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/29833.htm

4.Now you will be able to work fine.

The next suggestion was:

Please follow the below mentioned link:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23544.htm

Now check if you are able to do the operation.

However, the Shared Profile is not something I've needed to use previously, nor do I want to use it now. If for instance I select Desktop, then the Mac desktop appears in the Windows guest OS. I definitely do not want this to happen.*

Still not the solution.

The latest advice has been to remove Parallels Tools and then reinstall Parallels Tools.

Again, it doesn't fix the problem.

I can no longer work in Coherence mode but Window mode, because I'm forced to save files to the guest OS desktop then drag them to the Mac host desktop before they can be opened. Obviously, when the TIF is saved directly to the Mac desktop it is losing information which Photoshop or Preview needs to open it. The problem is costing me significant time whilst having to duplicate these files just to open one.

Could anyone please suggest how to fix the problem?

I've asked multiple times if I can go back to the previous build, but this question is ignored again and again.

Thank you,

Bart

2. StephenM

StephenM Bit poster

3. BartK

BartK Bit poster

Hi Stephen,

Would I have to uninstall my current version, install the older version and have to reinstall Windows XP? I had quite a few headaches with the installation of Windows XP so I'm rather nervous about having to go there again.

Thanks for your advice.

Bart

4. StephenM

StephenM Bit poster

I've never done either an uninstall of Parallels or a reinstall of Windows as part of installing a new version of Parallels.

5. BartK

BartK Bit poster

Parallels technical support have now resolved the problem. They emailed me a new file: prl_fs.sys and instructed me to do the following:

1. Save the file attached to this email on the Windows side;

2. Go to C:\windows\system32\drivers, find prl_fs.sys file and rename it to prl_fs_old.sys;

3. Copy/paste the file you saved in item 1 to the same location (C:\windows\system32\drivers);

4. Restart Windows and check if everything works fine.

Bart

6. StephenM

StephenM Bit poster

Or maybe Parallels has posted it on their site somewhere?

Bart, can you please email me that file?
    http://www.musanim.com/mam/contact.html
    Stephen