Using Windows 7 on MacBook Pro - Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LynnQ, Mar 15, 2010.

1. LynnQ

LynnQ Member

Hi there,

Before I go ahead and purchase Windows 7, I want to see if others have had any issues when using Windows 7 on a now two-year-old MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I am considering either the Professional or Ultimate version as I need to run some XP programs, now a few years old in some cases. None are high intensity games, but I am considering putting my old Office 2003 Professional back on but it's not a necessity.

This would be a full version, new OS install, not an upgrade. As my Windows XP Pro license refuses to validate after too many activations I think it's time to give up on that option and just go for a brand new installation with Windows 7. I believe I read somewhere that if your license hasn't been validated then you cannot upgrade from that license. Is this indeed the case or can I consider the option of upgrading that XP Pro version to Windows 7 without issues?

What problems or slowness am I like to see based on Windows 7 on this MBP. Should I also consider adding some additional RAM?

Advice and comments as to whether this would be a good option on my MBP would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Lynn

2. LynnQ

LynnQ Member

Hi again,

I was hoping for some replies... Perhaps some ideas as to any issues that I might encounter with Windows 7. Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA.

L.

3. Heribert

Heribert Bit poster

Hi Lynn,

no one seems to be using this combination. ;-))

No, seriously, i have the same old MacBook Pro but with 4GB RAM.
    I just switched back from VMWare to Parallels and everything is working here as expected.

Sorry i can't help you with the upgrade question from XP to Win7 as i always have _both_ Windows versions in separate VM's.
    But..... you have to keep your copy of XP anyway if you use programs that don't run under Win7.
    This XP-Mode in Win7 is basically a virtual machine in Win7 and a virtual machine running in another virtual machine simply doesn't work.

I use Windows only for testing and some special programs that i depend on.

Hope it helps a bit.

Regards,
    Heribert

4. hmolen

hmolen Member

I sue the same config, I run Win7 (clean install) next to my WinXP (installed 3 years ago).
    I had some issues with memory but when I put #of CPU's on 1 and memory on 1Gb (1024) no more problems.
    I am using Win7 only for office and Visio, the rest I do with MacOS/X.