Duplicate MAC address detected

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mcdirt, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Jouni S

Jouni S Bit poster

Any update anyone?

Cheers,

2. Jeffrey Stokje

Jeffrey Stokje Bit poster

I had the same problem.
    Looking at the reply of fletchni I tried to first start parallels desktop and afterwards the virtual machine. Starting the VM in this order I did not encounter the duplicate mac address anymore. It works fine for me for several days now.

3. Jeffrey Stokje

Jeffrey Stokje Bit poster

I tried starting parallels desktop first and then the virtual machine. When starting in that order (thus separately) I do not encounter the duplicate mac address anymore for several days now.

4. Spongerius

Spongerius Bit poster

Have this problem also in my Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac. Found that it only occurs for newly created or cloned VMs. After the VMs have been created, and I try to start up the VM by double clicking on the desktop shortcut link or on the .pvm file, that's when the issue occurs. It seems that the Parallel doesn't recognise that the VM is already registered in the VM List and tries to register it again. Hence the duplicate Mac issue.

One why to resolve this is, after creating the VM, remove it from the VM List but keep the files. Then double click on the desktop link or the pvm file. This will recreate the VM in the VM List without the duplicate mac issue and the VM will not be renamed.

5. MehdiE

MehdiE Bit poster

I've been using Parallels Desktop since the first betas back in 2007 and I've just have this problem start to happen to me out of the blue.

My setup is as follows:

- 2010 15'' MacBook Pro (Core i7)
    - MacOS X 10.6.4
    - Parallels Desktop 5.0.9370 Revision 589435 (UK English version)
    - Windows 7 Ultimate
    - I'm the only user on this machine and there's only one user account created on MacOS X. I've never made any changes to my MacOS X user account or Parallels Desktop setup or location.

The virtual machine was created from scratch a couple of months ago from the Windows 7 install DVD. It worked just fine for 2 month. Then one day, and for no apparent reason, when I launched my suspended virtual machine, the message in the first post of this thread poped-up. Every single time I start Parallels desktop, it now creates a new copy of my Windows 7 virtual machine.

I'm using Spongerius's fix at the moment but have to do a bit more work as even removing and re-adding my virtual machine results in Parallels Desktop renaming it with a (1) at the end. Here is what works for me:

1) When Parallels Desktop displays the Duplicate MAC addresses error, kill the Parallels Desktop process.
    2) Launch Parallels Desktop itself (instead of double-clicking on the virtual machine shortcut). This will display the list of registered VMs.
    3) Right click on your Windows VM and choose "Remove". When Parallels asks you whether you want to trash or keep the hard drive file, choose "Keep". Do the same for all the duplicate VMs you have.
    4) Click on the arrow beside the '+' button and choose "Open" to re-add your Windows VM. Select your VM file in the file browser (should be in Documents/Parallels/ if you've got a default install of Parallels).
    5) Parallels will add your VM again but will still rename it with a (1) at the end.
    6) If you've enabled the 'Show Windows application folder in the dock' option in your VM settings, it will also re-add the Windows folder in the dock with the (1) at the end. Drag it out of dock to delete it.
    6) Go to the VM settings (Virtual Machine menu -> Configure) and, on the General tab, rename your VM to remove the (1).
    7) Close and restart Parallels Desktop then launch your VM. This will re-add the Windows folder to the dock with the correct name.

This works for me. But I now need to go through this nonsense every single time I want to open my VM after having shut down Parallels Desktop. I'd like to see a proper bug fix for this.

Thanks.

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Can you check if you actually have duplicate MAC addresses somewhere? Assuming all your virtual machines are stored at ~/Documents/Parallels, the following Terminal.app commands will list the MAC address settings of your network setup and you virtual machines (run this when Parallels Desktop is not running):
    Code:
    echo ifconfig
    ifconfig -a | sed -n -E "/^.*ether ([0-9a-f:]*) $/s//    \1/p"
    cd ~/Documents/Parallels
    echo
    ls *.pvm/config.pvs
    cat *.pvm/config.pvs | sed -n -E "/^[ ]+\<MAC\>([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])\<\/MAC\>$/s//    \1:\2:\3:\4:\5:\6/p"

If you see any duplicates, then find them in the config.pvs file and change them.

7. MehdiE

MehdiE Bit poster

Thanks joevt - I've run your command but it didn't unearth any duplicate MAC addresses:

Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ echo ifconfig
    ifconfig
    Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ ifconfig -a | sed -n -E "/^.*ether ([0-9a-f:]*) $/s// \1/p"
    c4:2c:03:20:bf:20
    90:27:e4:fd:ed:9f
    00:1c:42:00:00:08
    00:1c:42:00:00:09
    Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ cd ~/Documents/Parallels
    Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ echo

Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ ls *.pvm/config.pvs
    Ubuntu Linux.pvm/config.pvs Windows 7.pvm/config.pvs Windows XP.pvm/config.pvs
    Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$ cat *.pvm/config.pvs | sed -n -E "/^[ ]+\<MAC\>([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])([0-9A-F][0-9A-F])\<\/MAC\>$/s// \1:\2:\3:\4:\5:\6/p"
    00:1C:42:60:85:64
    00:1C:42:36:9E:5C
    00:1C:42:07:76:3E
    Mehdis-MacBook-Pro:parallels Mehdi$

8. StaceOz

StaceOz Bit poster

Has anyone got a solution to this yet??? I have been getting this regularly but now I have a disk read error so not even getting that far. Could the two things be connected?

9. JeanP

JeanP Bit poster

Same Problem

Hello, I'm having the same problem with my Parallels.
    It's becoming annoying that almost everytime I launch the VM I get the duplicated MAC address.
    Please post if anyone has a solution to this.

10. MichaelJT

MichaelJT Bit poster

Duplicate MAC address detected ( Again )

Hi

I am now getting this on Parallels 6.

I had not used the PVM for several weeks. When I next opened it, I received the message and the renaming problem.

To the best of my knowledge, there had been no change to the machine or to the PVM in the intervening period.

Has this problem been solved elsewhere on the forum?

Regards

Michael

11. JeanP

JeanP Bit poster

No solution. I've been trying to find some solution but I couldn't find any.
    If, for some reason, you find a solution anywhere, please post the link here.
    Question: What could happen if I start to delete all the duplicated aplication folders? would I loose any of my information or not?

Thank You

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  12. MichaelJT

MichaelJT Bit poster

Hi

Sure - I will post any results I get.

No - deleting the app folders is safe - they will simply get recreated.

Michael

13. JeanP

JeanP Bit poster

Thank you very much, I can't wait for a fix.

Regards

14. tigertezza

tigertezza Bit poster

This has been driving me mad too.

For the time being I seem to be having some luck by making sure the virtual machine and parallels shuts down when I reboot my mac.

I've set up the virtual machine as follows:

virtual machine
    configure
    startup and shutdown
    start automatically never
    on shutdown quit parallels desktop
    on window close stop

Previously I was just suspending the virtual machine. I'm not sure but since I had the virtual machine loading at startup as a login I thought maybe parallels was starting the virtual machine from scratch while it was still suspended and therefore with two versions running it was detecting duplicate mac addresses.

We'll see if it keeps working correctly by shutting it down before reboot.

15. JeanP

JeanP Bit poster

I've just made the changes you suggested.
    I'm going to see if it works.
    Thank You

16. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

17. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

Duplicate mac address problem

Well I have figured out I alwasy have a problem with duplicate mac addresses when I use the suspend mode. in about 90% of the cases when I suspend windows XP when I try restarting it paraleels detects a duplicate mac address and renames my windows xp to windows xp (1). I presume it must have somethign to do with the network driver not being shut down properly when you use the suspend option in paralells?The strange thing is that it used to work fine with my original version of paralells but after the two updates I did this problems seems to be present. It's rather annoying because I like the suspend option while I run on battery and then I can resume my windows applications where I was when I use power again.

Is there any bugfix you will be doing to fix this problem?

I have also tried creating my own mac address but this also dosent relaly help since the problem only happens when I use suspend.

18. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello,

Do you use any backup applications?
    Could you please send me Problem Report ID and terminal output for commands:
    cd ~
    pwd

Thank you.

19. Daisuke2005

Daisuke2005 Member

My problem report ID is 9383517

I only use time machine and the snapshots.

I do have a duplicate VM os XP on my external drive but that is never connected and ths problem exsisted before I duplicated the VM also I made sure both had different mac addresses.

I typed the two commands in terminal but I don't knwo if I did it wrong this is all I got

Daisukes-MacBook:~ Daisuke$ cd ~
    Daisukes-MacBook:~ Daisuke$ pwd
    /Users/Daisuke
    Daisukes-MacBook:~ Daisuke$ cd ~ pwd

let me know if you need any other info

20. alev

alev Parallels Team

We have found that some backup applications do not preserve keyboard case. It could lead to the problem described in this thread. We will fix the issue.
    But your case looks different. I have added it to our internal issue investigation.

Thank you!