Out of System Resources or Memory Error Since Installing 9344

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PeterO, Mar 10, 2010.

1. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

Alexander, if you could please respond ASAP:

Could you please tell me if installing the old version (build 9310) simply over the top of 9344 is fine to do?

This will not affect any of my installed programs? I won't have to re-install anything?

Please advise as soon as possible.

2. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

KeurimS, I installed 9310 over top 9344 and all worked well. The correct verios of tools should install automatically first time you start 9310. All my preferences remained intact, and all my images still worked.
    Please not this is merely my own personal experience, and I don't speak for Parallels, and would certainly recommend you back up before trying.
    Good luck.
    Peter O.

3. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

It is better to uninstall 9344 Tools from Add/Remove programs first and then install the build 9310 back. Here is the link to the previous build:

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-5.0.9310.546799.dmg

4. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

9310 overwriting 9344 WORKED FINE

Thanks for much for getting back to me Peter O!
    9310 overwriting 9344 WORKED - Outlook 2010 works now with .pst's from the original shared Mac location.
    Thanks for being proactive and helpful. :)

Thanks Parallels for getting back to me - though, response came after I'd already overwritten - but Tools seem to work OK, so good-o!
    I hope you will get to the bottom of this bug.

FYI - I tried "repairing" Outlook whilst still in 9344 - didn't fix anything.

5. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

Hi, its been 2 weeks since this issue was reported, and it affects a very common application and many users. Any update from Parallels on when a fix might be expected, or does anyone have any advice other than downgrading?
    Cheers,
    Peter O.

6. ecarrera

ecarrera Bit poster

Actually it's not only Outlook. Other applications writing to shares have issues, usually leading to diverse, unusual error messages probably derived from corrupted data (my guess is that the problems come up writing to the share, reading seems fine)
    As many other users, going back to an older version than the latest fixed the problem for me.
    Let me join other users in expressing that two weeks unable to use shared drives is rather inconvenient. I'm looking forward to a, soon coming, update that solves the issue.

7. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sirs and Madams,

The problem is very complex and there is no way to workaround it except the downgrading.

Sorry for giving you troubles.

Alexander

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I haven't yet run across this issue so I'd like to know from those who are afflicted what the file size is that you're trying to save? I work almost exclusively with Shared Folders and luckily the files I save or copy haven't been corrupted yet... but it'd be good to have some kind of indication. Thanks!

9. alexg

Hi,

The problem occurs in specific case. Not all applications are affected. There some known applications (they are mentioned here in the discuss). I do not know full list of application unfortunately. There will be a workaround in our KB soon.

Alexander

10. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

Hi Shaddam IV,

I only do word processing (Microsoft Word 2010) and emailing using Outlook 2010. As you can imagine, word stuffs are very small in size. And I have had NO ISSUES reading OR writing to SHARED FOLDERS. NO problems at all.

My .pst files are small. Biggest .pst is at around 220mb now. That's nothing!

I don't believe it's always the matter of "corruption" of files. My .pst's opened fine since downgrading. If they had been corrupted, I wouldn't be able to open them at all.

11. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

Hi guys, Hi Parallels,

I am not sure if this will lead to anything, but one major thing I have configured "differently" to other ordinary/normal Snow Leopard Macs is the use of PATHFINDER.

I use it instead of Mac's default = Finder.

12. alexg

13. GiampaoloS

GiampaoloS Member

With the fix now works....

Please may you explain us what happened? Where the problem was?

Thank you.

If someone is downloading now the new version of Parallels 5, has to apply to patch or is already included in the parallels tools which is coming with the 9344?

Thanks

14. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

OK, I started this thread, so only fitting I serve as guinea pig....

The solution offered in Article 8296 seems to have resolved the issue where I could not access my Outlook 2007 pst files that were on a shared folder afteer upgrading Parallels Build 9344. As an interim measure, I had downgraded to Build 9310. This morning I re-upgraded to 9344 and installed the tools with the hotfix as per Article 8296, and I now have no problem accessing my pst files in a shared folder. Its too early to tell if there are any other issues, but the original problem seems to have been resolved.

Cheers,
    Peter O.

15. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

Me too. All seems to be working. I too would like to know what happened.

16. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

prl_fs driver supplied with this build malfunctions. Custom Parallels Tools version that we offer to download in the KB article http://kb.parallels.com/en/8296 has fixed Shared folders driver which eliminates your application issues. Hotfix will be included in the nearest update, thank you for understanding!

17. ecarrera

ecarrera Bit poster

The new Parallels tools solved my issues as well. Thanks!

18. William Erickson

William Erickson Bit poster

Outlook 2007

I had he same problem opening multiple .pst files with the latest parallels version. Reverting to 9308 fixed the issue.
    This after spending over a week thinking it was a windows problem.

19. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet

This serious bug appears to have affected a lot of users of this forum, and I imagine there are a lot of customers out there that don't read the forum and are still struggling with it. I commend Parallels for having found a fix, but they need to distribute it to all users in a general update.
    Peter O.

20. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

Indeed. It's been awfully quiet on the update front. While the tools update fixed my primary computer, I'm hold off upgrading the other two until a new update comes out. But I've been waiting what seems a long time now given the severity of the issue.

Imagine those poor people who don't have access to this forum and are pulling their hair out and concluding that the product is crap.