Parallels 5 and fullscreen applications

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by infinitbelt, Jan 28, 2010.

1. infinitbelt

infinitbelt Bit poster

Hi,

I have parallels 5 running in fullscreen mode and whenever I try to open a windows application that is also fullscreen (such as a game), I get the application window in the center of the screen surrounded by a black border around it. In other words, the application does not take up the whole screen, but rather about 50% of the screen. I have tried several applications and I get the same result.

Is there some setting that I need to change to fix this? Thank you!

Here's the screen shot of the issue:

[​IMG]

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Open the VM's configuration (Menu "Virtual Machine" -> "Configure" (last menu item), choose the "Options" tab, click on the "Full Screen" item, and check "Adjust Mac resolution in full screen".

When you now use a game that is set to run in less than your Mac's native resolution - e.g. 800x600 - your Mac's resolution will change to that resolution and the game will run in "true" full screen.

Enjoy!

3. infinitbelt

infinitbelt Bit poster

Thanks! Checking that does make the game go full screen, but when I quit the game, the resolution stays the same and does not get re-adjusted. So my windows desktop looks stretched out. In other words, if the game runs at 800x600 full screen, when I quit the game, my screen resolution stays at 800x600 and does not return to the 1680x1500 resolution that it should be.

Any idea how to fix that? Thank you!

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

The Parallels Coherence and the Parallels Tools services in Windows seem to be the reason for this. In Windows, use 'msconfig' to prevent these services from loading at startup. Then your screen resolution will switch back after you're done playing a game in full screen. The downside is that you won't be able to use Parallels' coherence (or crystal) mode. I have done that since I don't use coherence mode.

5. RainerB

RainerB Member

Is this also possible under Windows 98?
    What exactly would I have to do?

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I wouldn't know. Maybe Win98 still used autoexec.bat files for this kind of stuff. Google it, I suggest.

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi RainerB,
    you can use 'msconfig' in Windows 98, but since Parallels Tools or Coherence service are not available for Windows 98 virtual machines, this will not bring you desired result.