Windows 7 Startup Repair When Configuring Parallels for the First Time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tdcool, Nov 21, 2009.

1. NotBill

NotBill Member

Ok, now trying with the newest version of the transporter (5.9310) and doing a new transport over the network.

same thing. log attached.

this time I was able to see that win7 said bad driver.

Attached Files:

2. DariusR

DariusR Bit poster

DHJV, I have just switched to Mac and got the exact same iMac (i7 quad 2.8 - 8Gb RAM) and have done all steps mentioned, but no luck.

I installed Windows7 Ultimate 64 bit and have been trying to run it through Parallels 5, but it doesn't pass that frustrating message of "you need to manually continue the process of configuring the "my boot camp" virtual machine"!

Dedicating 6 Gb (5072 MB) of memory to Parallels and 2 Gb (1836 MB) to bootcamp (windows7) didn't solve the problem. I also rebooted into windows and installed MacDrive8, but still have the problem.

Can you (or anyone) tell me if there's some part I missed here?

3. DariusR

DariusR Bit poster

Mark Balducci,

Thank you so much. After two frustrating weeks, I finally got to the windows7 login page via Parallels 5. The error, however, showed right before the login page and I don't know if I'm going to have it every time or not. But for now, I think I can use the windows and eventually fix the problem.

By uninstalling the Boot Camp in windows 7, (and not having the Mac Drive installed) I finally logged into windows 7 64 bit via PD5.

Configuration of my system:
    iMac core i7 | RAM: 8GB | Mac OS X

4. DWilson

DWilson Bit poster

Yesterday after upgrading the boot camp drive from Win 7 RC to Win 7 (32 bit), I also got stuck in the Win 7 repair cycle when starting the newly created VM in Parallels 5 for the first time. All Win 7 updates had been applied before creating the VM.

I noticed that the VM startup seemed to think Windows failed to start when it was in fact sitting at the login screen. Once the repair process started there was no way to enter the password.

I rebooted into Win 7. The repair process was unavoidable and once it was complete my Win 7 install had been returned to a very early restore point (prior to all Windows updates, MS Office install, and 6 program installs).

I made the following changes while booted in Win 7:

- delete the password for my only user account (admin privileges).

After starting OSX and Parallels 5:

- change the Win 7 VM config to turn off all drive / folder sharing with the Mac.

Started the Win 7 VM and it started right up with no complaints.

I have since restored the Windows account password and enabled folder sharing with the Mac. Parallels and the VM can be started with no problems. Have also applied additional Windows updates, and restarts are still no problem.

Hope this works for others.

5. NotBill

NotBill Member

I tried what DWilson suggested, choosing to 'isolate' the win7 vm from the mac. no go. here is the error from startup repair:

problem signature:
    problem event name: StartupRepairOffline
    problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    " " 02: "
    " " 03: unknown
    " " 04: 21201042
    " " 05: AutoFailover
    " " 06: 3
    " " 07: BadDriver
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Local ID: 1033

now for the diagnostic and repair details. pardon the typos, I can't copy/paste this <sigh>

Startup Repair
    Diagnostic and repair details
    Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
    -------------------
    Last successful boot time: 1/31/2010 4:33 AM (GMT)
    Number of repair attempts: 3

Session details
    --------------------
    System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
    Windows directory = d:\windows
    AutoChk Run = 0
    Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
    ------------------------
    Name: Check for updates
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: System disk test
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Disk failure diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Disk metadata test
    Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Target OS test
    Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Volume content check
    Time taken = 94 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Boot manager diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: System boot log diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Event log diagnosis
    Time taken = 483 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Internal state check
    Time taken = 47 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Boot status check
    Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Setup state check
    Time taken = 625 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Registry hives check
    Time taken = 3953 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Windows boot log diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Bugcheck analysys
    Time taken = 1016 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Access control check
    Time taken = 10328 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: File system test (chkdsk)
    Time taken = 138906 ms

Test Performed:
    ------------------
    Name: Software installation log diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
    ----------------------
    A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting

I hit close, then finish, ad I'm back to the black "click to start" screen.

6. David Ahn

David Ahn Bit poster

Parallels Staff, Please Respond!!!

I paid for the Parallels 5 upgrade because I wanted to run Parallels 5 with Windows 7 Ultimate because of multiple reinstalls of Vista due to corruption & lockups. Now I'm having the same problem multiple other users are having, rendering Parallels completely useless to me and forcing me to reboot to use Windows 7. Your old excuse of Windows 7 not being supported by Apple is crap (and no longer true since Boot Camp 3.1), because you're the one creating the virtual machine and claiming Windows 7 compatibility.

I'm not going to pay another $30 for MacDrive. If you refuse to fix this, I demand a refund.

David Ahn

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    we are investigating the issue. Thank you for patience.

8. DarylL

DarylL Bit poster

Too long

Hi, any updates on resolving this issue? It is becoming silly that it's taking so long to repair this.

Unless of course, you're telling me that I should only use a virtual machine, and not bother with bootcamp migration. Which then I'll migrate to another virtualization that gives me that functionality that works-as-intended even if it's supposedly slower; at least work gets done instead of not even being able to boot in.

9. David Ahn

David Ahn Bit poster

I apologize for my angry tone above, but this is kinda something that should have been fixed long ago.

David

10. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    the issue is under Parallels attention. Cannot provide ETA.

11. Philip Howard

Philip Howard Bit poster

disable startup repair

I've got round this by disabling the startup repair. I used this forum post to disable the startup repair.
    You have to run cmd.exe with admin priveleges and put this line in

"bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures"

It booted into windows 7 and i managed to eventually install the parallels tools after a couple of false starts haven't turned it back on yet to see if it works without this now. Not impressed at all that i had to do this.

12. cluteman

cluteman Bit poster

This method worked for me.

This was on a clean install of Windows 7 Professional. I had already installed Boot Camp 3.1 and with all current Windows updates. I did not have to uninstall Boot Camp or install MacDrive. I am using the default VM configuration of 1 CPU with 1GB of RAM.

The Windows repair window appeared when I created my Win7 VM with Parallels 5. I did not click restore, I clicked cancel and let it try to repair some more. After 10-15 minutes it gave up and the only option was to click continue and the VM turned off.

I found this thread and figured DWilson's method was a good start.

I booted back into Win7 with Boot Camp and deleted my user password that has administrative privileges. I only have one user created at this time. I booted back into OS X and turned on the "Isolate Mac from Windows" option under Configuration->Security in the Parallels VM. I booted up the Win7 VM and it worked! It was able to install Parallels Tools and works just fine for me now.

Thanks DWilson!

13. Jon Munson

Jon Munson Bit poster

Isolation...

Namaste!

I just wanted to reply with the following regarding this problem:

I have a 24" iMac w/ 4GB RAM, 3.06 Core 2 Duo.

I ran into the "repair issue" just today. This particular thread helped.

I did NOT have the Boot Camp stuff (drivers, etc.) installed in my Win7 64-bit N Ultimate installation (this particular iMac was just before the 8GB RAM versions, so, the 64-bit versions of Windows weren't "officially" supported yet, despite the processor being quite capable of it - the original Boot Camp software was never installed into the Windows installation), which is an existing Boot Camp installation.

I simply clicked the "Isolate Windows From Mac" option found in the Parallels Virtual Machine->Configure->Options->Security section of the Virtual Machine preferences for that VM.

Once I "isolated" Windows, everything went smoothly thereafter. After all the Parallels goodies were installed, I unchecked the "Isolation..." mode box and everything seems to be working very well.

Hope this helps someone!

Peace, Love, and Light,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

14. YNOT321

YNOT321 Bit poster

Having the same problem - new imac 27 with i5 - Windows 7 64 bit installed via bootcamp partition - works with no problems - when trying to install parallels 5.0 (latest version available) - hangs in repair mode - No Joy! Your software is about to be returned - else please provide a status - many thanks!

15. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    the issue is still being investigated. Thank you for being patient.

16. norse2

norse2 Bit poster

when will it be fixed?

It has been over four months now. When is the fix coming?

17. Per Ståhl

Per Ståhl Bit poster

Trying bcdedit as a best effort while waiting for the pro's...

Hello,
    I too have struggled with this problem for a month or so and is currently waiting for the result after trying Philip Howard:s suggestion, using "bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures". It has now been at it for four hours doing the initial configuration after the restart. Probably it's looping, but I'll wait a few hours more.

I also bought and tried VMWare:s product but did not even get the VM over into the Mac. Some unclear rights error...
    Their suggestion was to use Acronis trial version to create the VM, and in trying that I got an undocumented/undiscussed/(untested?) error message about not having enough privileges for backing up disks or volumes. Stuck again but keeping that possibility open via an Acronis forum.

My aim is to convert my ill working PC laptop into a virtual Parallels Machine and continue using Win 7 as good as before or hopefully better... ;-)

Configuration:
    - PC, Laptop LG P300 with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, Intel Core 2 DUO T9300 2,5 GHz, 3 GB RAM
    - Macbook Pro, intel Core 2 DUO 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM

//Per

18. SølviS

SølviS Bit poster

Hi,
    I very recently got my first Mac, and there are some programs I want that i can only use with Windows. That's when I came across Parallels Desktop. I went through the migration process with my old PC, running Windows 7. I used the Parallels Transporter Agent and copied my old PC onto my external HDD, then continued the process on the Mac. I followed all the instructions and don't think I did anything wrong.
    Then I started up my virtual machine and it started the configuration, and without finishing, it goes to the startup repair screen like others here have shown screen shots of. I've tried changing the RAM and CPU settings like some people have suggested here, but it hasn't helped. This may sound stupid, but do I need to do anything about the Boot Camp Assistant that is in the Utilities folder in Applications on the Mac? And what's all this about MacDrive?
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me :)

19. Per Ståhl

Per Ståhl Bit poster

Bcdedit and first start/conversion

Hello again,
    After waiting 20 hours for the Macbook pro to complete the first configuration I turned it off. It probably looped after applying the bcdedit command. I'll just wait and see if the Parallels techheads solves this. In the meantime I will return the product and do a clean install via Bootcamp instead.

Regards,
    Per

20. Jose Ogando

Jose Ogando Bit poster

I got rid of this problem by deleting the .PMV of my bootcamp and creating a new one file->new and so on. I selected 1 gb of ram and to not share anything. Hope it helps