CorelDraw File Corruption with 9344 update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert Firth, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi David,
    what step is not clear?

2. David Rootman

David Rootman Junior Member

Hi I-Che, I followed the directions but when I went to "connect image" the files that were downloaded were not highlighted in a way that they could be double clicked. I also had a parallels window that came up asking me to identify which operating system I wanted to install. I didn't follow that route because I didn't think I was suppose to be installing a new operating system or maybe I just didn't understand where that window was taking me? Anyhow I tried doing stuff for about 2 hours and didn't really get anywhere.

3. CarolS

CarolS Bit poster

Corel isn't the only issue

I had thousands of $$ disappear in receipts in my Neat Receipts program. Good thing I had been looking at totals and had backed it up. Man, what a mess that would have made to have to rescan all of my business receipts. This build really needs to be fixed. It's causing major problems. Went back and reinstalled older version.

4. Charles Howerton

Charles Howerton Bit poster

Applied fix and problem file gone

Hi,

I tried the following fix as per PD post and it worked:

please apply http://kb.parallels.com/en/8296 on build 9344. This should help.

For the person having the install problem, follow direction in the associated text. When you download, the "fix" file should end up in your DownLoads directory in the Documents directory that is immediately below your named item in Finder. Use the PDT controls to disable the "tools" and then use the controls to "connect" the downloaded file to the CD/DVD drive and do a tolls install form there. Worked for me. Please excuse any errors in the procedure I did this yesterday and I may have some memory lapses.

Chuck Howerton

5. David Rootman

Hi I-Che, just following up for the patch installation instructions that work as I'm dying a slow death trying to get my corel working. Much appreciated, David

6. David Rootman

How do you reinstal the previous version?

7. David Rootman

Hi Charles, Thanks I got it to work. Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbee to working with Mac. Cheers, DAvid

8. David Rootman

Hi All, Thanks again for your help. I'm up and running now. I now have a questions for those using Corel Draw. Ever since I've switched to the corel on parallels I've can seem to get the same key & mouse functions happening. For example on PC to move an object in one direction I could hold the ctrl key at the same time as I grab and move the object. The object would stay on a linear line. I can't seem to do that with the mac keyboard. This also affects rotating objects on predetermined increments as well as duplicating objects by right clicking during a drag. Any advise? Much appreciated.

9. Charles Howerton

Charles Howerton Bit poster

Moving CorelDraw things with the Mac Parallels

Hi David,

I am very happy that You got everything working. About moving things on the same line; I just tried it and it worked fine for me. I have a full Mac keyboard and if I hold the control key while I move an object, it only moves in a straight line (horizontal or vertical) and rotating with control key held, is in 15 degree increments. Are you sure you are holding the Control Key.

I just checked the keyboard on my MacBook to see where the control key is located and it is different, so could it be different on your keyboard?

Full keyboard bottom row
    : [ctl] [alt/opt] [cmd/Apple] [space bar] [cmd/Apple] [alt/opt] [ctl]

MacBook keyboard bottom row: [fn] [ctl] [alt/opt] [cmd/Apple] [space bar] [cmd/Apple] [enter] [arrow keys] note that the [ctl] key is not the leftmost key on the short Mac keyboard.

If you are using a PC keyboard the arrangement is again different, but [ctl] is outermost at both ends.
    Check your keyboard to see what the key arrangement is.

I understand your problems as a newbie. I have been a PC user since 1982. I played around with a Mac a couple of years ago, and finally got so fed up with the PC risks and the Eudora email client. I have been transitioning to the MAC for the past few months and have MAC software for nearly everything I once did on the PC. CorelDraw is the major exception. I have been using CorelDraw as my design tool for my Laser since 2006. I do the design, and CorelDraw interfaces directly with the Laser. There is no equivalent for the Mac where I would not have to go through a major learning curve and I would still have to go back to CorelDraw to control the laser as there are/were no Mac drivers for it. I have not tried to drive the Laser with CorelDraw and PC Laser drivers in PDT, and I will not because I finally sold the Laser. However, I still do design work for others and the medium of exchange is the .CDR files. I am giving that its first test today or tomorrow because I have a design job to do. Since PDT fixed the file problem I do not expect any problems.

Keep trying:

Chuck Howerton

10. David Rootman

Hi Chuck, Thanks for your response. I realized I wasn't pressing the ctrl key prior to moving the object which with the pc you can start the move and press ctrl at any time. The little things can just be such time killers until you finally find them! Still a few other keys don't seem to have a mac equivalent but I will press on with trying to figure out solutions. Have you used mircrosoft onenote? If so have you found a substitute for Mac? The only way I've got onenote to work on the mac side is to use a program called crossover. What are you using for your email instead of outlook? Cheers

11. jimbobble

jimbobble Bit poster

Still not working?

Hi guys, does this fix just allow you to save and open files as normal or does it fix the corrupted files that couldn't be opened when saved after the 9344 update?
    I have done the fix but still get the error message when I try and open the Corel file I need!
    Thanks
    James

12. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi James,
    the fix does not fix corrupted files, it is a custom version of Parallels Tools.

13. Ken1

Ken1 Member

David - how to install tools

9344 is a royal pain but here's how to install it (referring to the official "how to" page linked above)

1. Once you've downloaded, to some local folder, the file

download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/en_us/parallels/update3/prl-tools-win.sf.iso

2. go the the Parallels menu bar, select Devices>CD/DVD1>Connect Image

When the navigator window pops up, navigate to and select the downloaded iso file and click "Open"

That should be all there is to it. At that point the tools installation began without me doing anything else.

14. SallyB

SallyB Junior Member

I find it is best to have a Windows keyboard and plug it in so that it is sensed by the Virtual machine, then keyboard shortcuts work properly.

15. SallyB

SallyB Junior Member

Yes, the installation is a pain, but it works

Mine wouldn't recognize the disk as in the CD-ROM but did after reinstalling Parallels Tools. I got 12, X3 and X4 working again but didn't realize what the problem was and removed the programs and then reinstalled them only to find out it was the not the problem. I found out by experimentation before checking the forum that I could save and open successfully to my external backup drive and thumb drives.

Since CorelDRAW is so much more affordable than Adobe programs, it is not surprising that people use Parallels just to use DRAW. To check and see that this program works would seem like a test that Parallels should be doing on an upgrade. Xara is another program I often use but it didn't have a single problem.

16. pableau

pableau Bit poster

Not just CorelDraw files!

I'm a software developer. I've always kept my development files on my Mac OS (for several reasons), and simply when opening, they open in Parallels - and this has been beautiful.
    Now, however, after the upgrade, my development files get irreversibly corrupted! I am forced to completely alter how I do my work, for fear of destroyed code files.

I lost many many days of work, because you don't notice the corruption until you attempt to reopen the files!!! Complete insanity.

My files getting corrupted (only ones I've tried, before I stopped killing myself and my data), were Visual Basic 6 files. I have no idea if other file types have this problem, alas, seeing CorelDraw files makes me think so! The Visual Basic files in question all had a visual component, form files with controls on them. Plain text only files, like class definitions, do not have this problem.

I can recreate this problem in about 5 minutes... if anyone cares to see it happen...

17. BerndM

BerndM Bit poster

Is this the fix for all language versions of Parallels? The download link suggests that it is for EN_US only. Are there localized versions planned or available, or are the not necessary? A short sentence in the KB article would help...

Bernd

18. AlfredoR

AlfredoR Bit poster

Try burng the ISO to a CD

I would Burn the ISO to a CD and run from the CD?