Second monitor problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hezndepezn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hezndepezn

hezndepezn Bit poster

On a MacbookPro 15" (2GB RAM, 128 MB video) I'm using a second a second monitor (DELL 24" , DVI) for WINXP in fullscreen mode(1920 x 1200). OSX on the primary screen (MacbookPro).
    This works ok but with one application in XP (ALLplan (CAD)) the performance is very low on this monitor. After attaching a smaller second monitor to the MacbookPro the performance of Allplan in XP is like it should be. I tried to reduce the resolution of the Dell monitor (as wel in OSX as in XP) but it doesn't help.

Are there issues know about these monitor with Parallels?

2. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

How did you get the WinXP guest to show fullscreen on the second monitor? When I go to Full Screen in Parallels it does a full screen on the primary monitor (laptop monitor) and not the second monitor/

3. hezndepezn

hezndepezn Bit poster

Just drag the parallels window to the second monitor.....click the fullscreen button and voila......

4. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

Thank you. I will try this when I get home.

5. mberzins

mberzins Bit poster

Mouse pointer problems?

I run Parallels in a similar configuration (big monitor above MBP; Windows XP running on big monitor).

Do you see any issues with mouse pointer behavior? I seem to have issues with Windows always being "one click behind" on what the pointer should look like, but only when running on the second monitor.

If I'm running Parallels in full screen on the MBP itself, the mouse pointer behavior works completely as expected.

6. l0gden

l0gden Bit poster

I can confirm the 2nd monitor mouse issue as well. When I run XP in full screen on the second monitor I have to click for anything to show up. Its frustrating because there are no mouse pointer changes when over controls on the screen. Like when you have two panes in an application and you can increase the size of one at the expense of the other (a splitter bar for those familiar with .net forms programming). Also tool tips, based on mouse position, don't display.

The problem goes away if running in OS window mode or coherence mode (the work around I am using now) in the second display. The problem also goes away if running on the main display regardless of the mode. I am currently using Build 3150RC2.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Edits: Typos..... :eek:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  7. rictus

rictus Bit poster

I've seen the same problem on the second monitor (Windows not responding to mouseover events when in fullscreen on an external monitor). I posted to the forum about it a few versions ago, but it looks like it's never been fixed. It hasn't been a problem since I switched to using coherence mode.

8. drval

drval Pro

Yes, I don't use Full Screen mode but I also wonder if this has perhaps been resolved in RC3 build 3170?

9. l0gden

l0gden Bit poster

I can confirm that 3170 exhibits the same issue. I just upgraded to it and upgraded the tools. The problem is identical to what I described with 3150.

10. drval

drval Pro

You might want to send all of the details about this to beta@parallels.com.

11. jamie

jamie Bit poster

Similar and possibly related problem

I run Parallels in Windowed mode filling the screen of the second monitor attached to my macbook pro. On the second Monitor, I cannot click on the buttons on the bottom right corner to activate and deactivate usb devices, change networking modes and such. If I drag half of the window on to the primary monitor, suddenly the buttons work again. It is somewhat bizzarre, but may be related to clicking problems you have been having. I am running the latest build. Any ideas?