Connection between Parallels and Mac OS X via Rs232

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Oliver Noll, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Oliver Noll

Oliver Noll Bit poster

Hello. Is it possible to send informations from a virtual com port from Mac OS X to Parallels via Rs232.
    Is there a tool for Mac, which allows me to enter some characters or some other informations and send this via RS232 to Parallels Desktop?

I think the most problem is to create a virtual com port on mac os x. For windows I found a lot of tools, but not for mac.
    Has anyone an idea???

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. Oliver Noll

Oliver Noll Bit poster

Can no one help me?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

Could you use physical hardware? Two USB-to-serial adapters connected to each other using a null modem adapter that swaps the RX/TX and handshaking/flow control pins?

The USB-to-serial adapters with the FTDI chip have great drivers for OS X, Linux, and Windows. I know the Windows drivers worked within a Windows guest VM running on a VMware WS host running Windows. However I do not know if it would work between different OS flavors of host and guests?

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

-Ed

4. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

Sorry, I just noticed Parallels can add a "Serial Port hardware" to a guest VM which is connected to a physical serial port or USB-to-serial port adapter. I will have to play with this some day. -Ed