After Upgrade to Parallels 5 WindowBlinds/Stardock My Colors is Installed

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Eric Hamburg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Eric Hamburg

Eric Hamburg Junior Member

This morning I successfully upgraded a Windows 7 VM from Parallels 4 to 5 and have had no real issues. However, the Windows Action Center now reports that I need to "Address a problem with WindowBlinds". The Action Center presents a link to StarDock Corporation's support site, but I see nothing relevant to resolving whatever issue Windows detected.

I don't recall ever installing this software and in fact Programs and Features shows "Stardock MyColors" as being installed this morning, 11/4/2009. I definitely did not install anything into this VM this morning.

Is it possible that this software was installed during the Parallels 5 upgrade or the Parallels Tools installation? It is easy enough to uninstall Stardock MyColors, but if it is a component supplied by Parallels in this version I would want to know the implication of uninstalling the program is.

2. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

I noticed this as well. The Stardock apps are being used to support the new MacLook feature. I removed them by killing the two Stardock processes via Task Manager and then, manually removing the two Stardock folders underneath c:\Program Files.

3. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Yes, this application was installed with Parallels Tools and it is required for MacLook feature.

4. AlexeyP

AlexeyP Bit poster

Is it possible to re-install Stardock MyColors? I've removed this program accidentally but would like to use it for the MacLook feature

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Reinstall Parallels Tools, that will also install Stardock.

6. AlexeyP

AlexeyP Bit poster

Tried this several times before posting - did not help.

7. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

I mounted the Parallels Tools ISO and ran the setup file. I was then prompted for a repair install. I did that and I have Stardock MyColors back.

8. KlausS

KlausS Member

Got an error message (from Win 7) that due an incompatibility
    of Windowsblinds with Internet Explorer, the explorer hang several times.
    Given proposal was to upgrade Windowblinds as there would be an update.
    However, this is also said at the Windowblinds website.
    But this is part of the parallels installation - so how do I update?
    I updated parallels to the latest version, but this did not make a difference.

Klaus

9. Rickygolucky

Rickygolucky Banned

As what done before, Reinstall Parallels Tools, that will also install Stardock as well.

10. KlausS

KlausS Member

might be, but looks like it does not include the latest version of stardock.