Windows NT display driver installing on Parallels Deskop 4.0 trial

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by David Evans 303, Sep 22, 2009.

1. David Evans 303

David Evans 303 Bit poster

I can't get the display driver from Parallels Tools to
    load into Windows NT. It keeps insisting on using
    the Microsoft default driver.

I'm using Desktop for Mac v4.0 trial version

For my first attempt, I installed NT from the CD. This was
    without any service packs. I then installed the display driver from
    Parallels Tools.
    On reboot the Microsoft driver was still being used and the
    driver did not appear in the Manufacturer and Display columns
    of "change display"

I installed service pack 6 and tried installing the driver again.
    This time, after reboot, it did appear in "change display" but
    the Microsoft driver was still being used.

I reinstalled NT again, erasing the HD first, followed by the
    service pack, followed by the display driver. Still the driver was not being
    used although it shows up in "Change Display".

Previously I had been using Desktop 3.0 (paid-for version.)
    Using 3.0 I had created a WINNT VM. Booting this VM from
    Desktop 4.0, I was able to change the screen resolution past
    800x600 and the driver was shown as a Parallels one.

Both VMs had 128MB of video memory.

Version information:
    Desktop 3.0 build 5626
    Desktop 4.0 build 3846
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    iMac7.1 2GB memory
    Windows NT workstation service pack 6

Any suggestions how I can resolve this gratefully accepted.

2. JerryCorda

JerryCorda Bit poster

I have the same problem for Parallels Desktop 5.

As far as I can gather the drivers don't get copied to the relevant directories. You can manually do this by following the locations given in the *.inf file. I think the .sys file goes in drivers and the .dll goes in system32, and the .inf in the inf directory.

However, when this is done, NT boots into a black screen. Using VGA mode on boot will get you into windows where it complains about the display settings being incorrect. I can change these and the screen resolution looks to increase, but the screen stays black. By default the screen refresh rate is 100Hz. Thi can't be changed, and I wonder if it's the culprit. I'm running on a MacBook Pro and I'm assuming the screen refresh is 60Hz.

It would be good if they could fix this.

3. boykindj

boykindj Bit poster

Any luck

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this. I called tech support, but they kept giving me instructions for installing the driver in windows XP. I have really got to get this working. It seems to be stuck using the default MS driver.

4. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi boykindj,
    Parallels Desktop 5 provides video driver for Windows NT; to install it, you need to mount prl-tools-other.iso to your virtual machine: Devices > CD/DVD 1 > Connect Image... > Macintosh HD > Library > Parallels Tools > prl-tools-other.iso > Open. Image will be mounted to your VM as CD-ROM drive; video driver for NT can be located on D:\Drivers\Video\WinNT

5. boykindj

boykindj Bit poster

I have tried this method. After browsing to the video driver folder and selecting the driver, I am prompted to reboot the VM. After I reboot, the display settings are still at 16 bit color and cannot be changed. The display adapter is still using the microsoft drivers. You can see this from the two pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi boykindj,
    please wait a while. Parallels is looking forward to update drivers shipped on prl-tools-other.iso for Win 95/98/NT. I will update you here.

7. Mogli

Mogli Bit poster

Hi I-che,

I'm waiting for this update, too. Can you say how long "a while" approximately is? One week, one month?

8. Sean Noble

Sean Noble Bit poster

Changing Refresh Rate in Registry Editor

I found this info regarding changing the refresh rate in the Registry Editor, but it didn't seem to have any effect...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216166

9. Mogli

Mogli Bit poster

The problem is the driver on prl-tools-other.iso. During installation of the video-driver WinNt reports an error and changes to the only other video-driver, the VGA-driver. VGA is not able to show a better resolution. The refresh rate is ok (with TFT-Monitor).

10. I-che

I-che Pro