Newbie having a difficult time installing Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by irishprincessks, Jan 25, 2007.

1. irishprincessks

irishprincessks Bit poster

So after I go through the whole installation process of trying to get Windows Vista, I get a black box that pops up saying that the boot from the hard drive and CD/DVD Rom drive has failed. It also tells me that there is a non system disk or disk error and that I should replace the disk and press any key when ready. Needless to say I have replaced the disk many times and I have even changed the booting sequence. However, when I do try to Install OS with Windows XP and a typical installation I still get the black box, but I also get another window that pops up saying that there in no VM detected. I am so confused, new to MAC, and could really use someone's assistance with a lot of patience. I would be EXTREMELY grateful. Thank you!

2. fye

fye Bit poster

Make sure you have activated the cdrom drive in parallels.

3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I would love to help but I'm not using Vista so I have no experience with installing that product. I'm sorry!

4. irishprincessks

For fye

fye, could you please tell me how to activate the cd-rom drive in parallels? Thank you so much for your tip!

5. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Its in the devices menu up in your Mac tool bar. Pull down that menu and you will see something like CDROM/DVD. That should have a submenu that has connect / disconnect in it if I remember right. Select connect.

6. imogen

imogen Junior Member

I got the same message

Howya from Cork...

I got that message too I think. If it was the same one, it also told you to stop the virtual machine and restart it. I had no clue how to do this but guessed and it worked.

On the right hand side of the parallels window you have some icons. One is a red square for stop the virtual machine (power off). I pressed that. Below it is another icon, a green triangle, to "Power on" the virtual machine. I pressed that. It then rebooted, failing on the hard drive (because it hadn' been created yet) and reading from the DVD instead. The rest of the installation was uneventful.

Hope this works for you but I'm not entirely sure from your message if we had the same problem.

Best wishes

Imogen

7. fye

fye Bit poster

You're welcome. Mark elaborated on what I said. You should select the "Connect to default CD/DVD Rom" option under "Devices" at the Parallels menu bar (located at the top of the screen).

8. GOMUS

GOMUS Bit poster

i have solved this problem. In fact my problem is the version i bought is older version. Then The parallel technical team gives me a new link to download the new version for my Mac Pro, but using the same series no, then the problem solve!!

9. irishprincessks

Still Stuck

I want to thank everyone for their help but unfortunately even after activating the Default CD/DVD ROM drive, I still get that black box that says failed on it. I would like to know how do I create the hard drive needed that Imogen was referring to? I have used the green arrow to reboot the program and I still get the same outcome. I have punched in my 25 digit code so many times that I have it memorized! :) I could use some more advice if anyone has it. Thanks!!