10.6.3 / Parallels 5.9344 / Win-7 / Machine lockup / Part II

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Robert M. Münch, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Robert M. Münch

Robert M. Münch Bit poster

Hi, ok, my problem re-appeared. After complete deinstall, boot, re-installing and using Parallels 5 now for some time I have the same situation:

- MBP locks completely locks-up
    - Only turning it off helps
    - Spotlight indexer is running like mad
    - Full-text mail.app search is not working

I now deleted ParallesMD.importer, because I don't know what it does and doesn't seem to be necessary.

IMO there seems to be a serious bug somewhere in Parallels kernel-extension. Otherwise I can't explain why the whole machine locks up.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Have you tried excluding Parallels from the items that Spotlight is indexing?

3. Robert M. Münch

Yes, my complete VM folder is excluded. I even have deleted the ParallelsMD.importer but no luck.

This system lock-up problem is really annoying as I need my VMs quite often. So, only workaround for me now is to switch to VMWare Fusion...

4. Robert M. Münch

One more information: What's interesting is, that I don't have any problems on my Mac-Pro system with VMs and 10.6.3 Server.

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Have you tried playing with the memory settings of the VM (and of Parallels) - in particular reducing them so that Parallels and the VM do not use more than, say, 1/3 of our Mac's memory?

6. Robert M. Münch

Well, I have 8GB in my MBP and the VM gets 1,5 which is < 1/3 of total mem.

So, that's not the cause. This is really so annoying... I have to switch to VMWare to be able to continue my work.

7. Robert M. Münch

I'm still facing machine lockups.

I have the suspicion that it's only happening if I have my UMTS stick running in OSX. Maybe this is a USB problem, somehow spitting into the Parallels world.

Are there are any USB / UMTS problems known?

8. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Bit poster

I have been having the same problem on my Mac Pro, with 8 cores / 16GB RAM. After I uninstalled Parallels, I didn't have any other problems. I am also heading towards VMware. It used to happen once a month, on OSX 10.6.3, but after my 10.6.4 upgrade it locked up 1-3 times a day. It hurts to not have access to the VMs, but I need a stable computer, more than the VMs.

It was locking up, even with no VMs running, but more often when they were. Not a single lockup, since removing parallels.

9. Robert M. Münch

I faced the same problem with VMware, not that often but still.

So I bite the bullet and re-installed OSX and than only use VMWare now. Which works without a problem.

I still use Parallels on my MacPro and don't have lock-up problems there. But the spotlight searching is impacted and full-text searching in Mail is not possible if Parallels is installed.