No internet on XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Hutch, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Hutch

Hutch Bit poster

Hi,
    I recently got Parallels 5 and installed it on my mac that is running Snow Leopard and XP on the PC side. When Parallels was initially installed the internet worked on the PC side but after not running Parallels for a few days the internet no longer works. I have tried reinstalling parallels tools and switching between shared networking and host but that does not seem to help.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please
    1) Make sure that VM is in SharedNetworking

2) click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all", then, without closing the Window, send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop "Help" -> "Report a Problem" and post here its id

3. Hutch

Hutch Bit poster

The Report ID is:3777651,

Cheers

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It seems that networking was switched to Shared not a long time ago before the sending the report. What goes on if wait say 30 seconds?

If this doesn't help, please start the cmd.exe one more time and enter following command:

netsh winsock reset

then Restart Windows and execute next command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart Windows once again.

5. Hutch

Hutch Bit poster

I tried what u posted above twice with not internet yet,

I generated another report and that number is:3819568
    thanks for the help

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I see that there is some warning-message for the Parallels Internet Security. Just a guess: please try to uninstall Parallels Internet Security. Does it help?

Instead of it it is possible to try http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

7. Hutch

Hutch Bit poster

I uninstalled Kaspersky and the internet now works!!
    but the microsoft site does not provide a download file that works,
    I am going to reinstall kaspersky and see if I still have internet

8. Bill Palmer

Bill Palmer Bit poster

I struggled with this same problem all day with my Windows 7 VM. What finally worked was to uninstall the parallels tools (not just reinstall, but actually remove them through windows control panel), then reinstall the tools.