Crystal: cmd-Q and cmd-H malfunction

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DrKarl, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Crystal mode in PD 5 is quite nice and will be great when the kinds are ironed out.

When you are in a Windows app in Crystal mode (I'm in an XP SP 3 VM), you get a mini-menu in the Apple menu bar listing the app name, and under that commands to Hide, Hide Others, or Quit the app (among others). The standard Mac shortcuts are shown there, such as cmd-H for hide and cmd-Q for quit.

Another thread has noted that cmd-H does not work - the cmd is recognized by the Windows VM and the start menu is displayed. The app does not hide.

cmd-Q will not quit the app either. Instead, it quits your entire Parallels session, closing the VM and quitting Parallels Desktop.

Karl

2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Unfortunately, it is designed to work so for now.
    Thanks for your post, we consider it in our feature improvement plans.

3. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

How can you say that it is designed to work incorrectly?!! The menu clearly shows cmd-Q as the shortcut to quit the running Crystal application ... but Parallels itself quits instead.

There is no way that is correct behavior ... so you are saying that Parallels 5.0 is buggy 'by design'. That does not exactly build user confidence.

The improper keystroke handling issues in Crystal are bugs, nothing less, and should not be 'considered', but should be fixed. Otherwise, Parallels should not advertise Crystal (or Coherence) as a seamless integration with the Mac. Modifying the keystroke handler to hand off the keystrokes properly is not rocket science programming ... I'm sure that the Parallels staff is up to it.

4. Jon Kinney

Jon Kinney Bit poster

100% agree with DrKarl. It has confused me to no end that I can't use Cmd + Q to quit a windows app running in coherence or crystal mode. I did notice that if you uncheck the box that says "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts" then it works as expected (cmd+q properly maps to alt+f4) in all modes... however this breaks the ability to "Cmd + tab" to a different application which is something I am absolutely not willing to loose. Please fix this bug ASAP.

5. David Becker

David Becker Bit poster

I agree with all the others, this is absolutely unacceptable. Not only is Cmd-Q listed in the crystal mode app's menu, it's configured in the Parallels Keyboard Preferences as mapping to Alt-F4. It works the way we want in coherence mode, but not in Crystal. There is a HUGE disconnect when I Cmd-Q to quit all my Mac apps, then try to do the same thing with a Windows app and the whole VM closes... Please fix ASAP.

6. webp

webp Bit poster

I agree...

I'm trying out the trial of parallels before I choose to upgrade.

7. JamesE

JamesE Bit poster

Another related (bug/feature?) with mappings

I too am just having an evaluation of parallels so it's quite early days for me.

Here, I am a bit confused at the keyboard mappings screen with presets for specific mappings like Cmd+Q, Cmd+W only to find that the are bumped in precedence by the OS shortcuts presented below them. Turning off OS shortcuts as a solution is simply a non-starter. Simply changing the precedence of OS vs profile mappings would make sense.

Another related bug? I have set up a system keyboard mapping for parallels desktop to use Cmd+Option+Q to quit parallels as I found a similar solution in a previous parallels version forum, however...

What happens is that opening a notepad and typing a few characters and using Cmd+Q results in the letter q being added to the notepad editor. Persistently hitting Cmd+Q eventually results in being presented the exit confirmation.

8. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

To Parallels support:

Could we please have a reply to the above? If Crystal Mode states, quite clearly on the menu, that CMD/Q quits just that app, then surely that is what should happen? I accept that there are kinks (well, actually, I think the testing really could have been better)... sorry, I can accept problems... stuff happens...

... But the above respond from Parallels is unacceptable. An apology... a "we'll look into it" maybe... but just to dismiss your customers like we are not important feels sad.

Anyway, I like Crystal, and I would love to see it fully implemented!

Nic.

9. TorbenJ

TorbenJ Bit poster

To Parallels support:

I agree with the other posts that this is an error, and really limits the completeness of the Crystal mode. It is a little sad to see that this post started in November 2009 and now mid March 2010, it is still not fixed. I can only recommend Parallels support to fixe this ASAP.

Besides this, then it is a great product !

Best regards Torben

10. rgcarr

rgcarr Bit poster

Me too!

Dear Parallels

+1 for sorting the Cmd Q in Coherence/Crystal modes. Fed up with it trying to shut PD, rather than the current Windows
    application

11. Mike Retondo

Mike Retondo Bit poster

Fix this already

I'm really getting tired of mistakenly quitting the VM. Fix this or disable it but leave the menu item since it works.