Which default TOOLBAR postion is better?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Andrew @ Parallels, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Which default TOOLBAR postion is better?

1. On the top

36 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. On the left

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. On the right

64 vote(s)
    50.4%
  4. Never mind

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. konstantin

konstantin Member

I have it on the right, it doesn't optically interfere with all the XP UI comming from the left.
    Top or bottom is real bad, because on a 16:9 screen you lose lots of valuable space, especially wit the OSX dock on the bottom already...

2. konstantin

konstantin Member

i also second the motion for a choice of a smaller icon set

3. wesley

wesley Pro

I'd like an option to have it on the bottom, blending with the status bar using smaller buttons, as well.

4. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Yes! The toolbar is quite large. :)

5. takmad

takmad Bit poster

Configure Parallels VM to have it a user preference. I like the idea of hiding it totally, especially if you could get a 1440x900 resolution. This would allow full screen on my 17" iMac without any distractions. I would then put the toolbar on the right with an autohide.

6. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I trust the paralles team to make the right choice. My only feedback is that any toolbar that lowers the res you would want to run in windowed mode makes no sense. This is why I prefer the toolbar off or on the side. Most of us can figure out that the toolbar can be turned off and is not needed but I'm sure there are users out there that will never figure that out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  7. gan

gan Bit poster

User Interface

I don't use the status bar or the toolbar...

However, I wish the user interface was different in that the red close window button currently shuts down or suspends the parallels VM. I wish it worked like Firefox, iTunes, etc and just closed the window! It might be trivial, but it sure is frustrating.

8. neilio

neilio Member

One related UI feature request is to remove the 1px white border that the VM window currently has. The VM window shouldn't have borders.

9. jla0

jla0 Junior Member

I vote for right side. After the first 3 beta's I got used to it.. then I installed beta4 and notice the VM (running in 1024x768) was overlapping the dock.. very annoying. So I put it back to the right. Makes alot of sense since the LCD's for the macs are all widescreen...

10. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Choice is Good

I like the right and would like the option of having the status icons larger and on the right too, to preserve vertical area on my wide screen(1440 x 900).:)

11. bigman

bigman Member

Yeah, MBP users love ot on the right side.
    And the frame around the vm is unnecessary and disturbing too.

12. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

Remove the toolbar completely, there's no reason for it to exist. Put the controls on the status bar. Additionally, make the status bar optional with three choices.
    1) status bar is visible.
    2) status bar off
    3) status bar off with transparent and tiny status icons for net, drive, and sound, that appear overlayed in the corner of the virtual machines main window to show activity.

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Well, most of the users want toolbar to be on the right side by default. So we moved it back in Beta5 :)

14. minezamac

minezamac Bit poster

Hopefully this issue is not dead, but i will start my comments here and see if there is any response. I have heard several voices here say combine the status and tool bars into one bar, I completely agree, and that is what I wanted to post about. I would add that you should be able to place it on all the sides and have it autohide if possible. The text status messages could be centered and always read with them legible from within the VM box, unless they are on the bottom where they would read as existing. Keep in mind some of us are using macbooks where we only have 1280 by 800 displays. On more option i would enjoy would be to go with a apple menubar icon that contained the items for the VM window and might allow you to switch between windows.

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is already possible.

Thanks for other suggestions!