After upgrade to Parallels 5, MS Outlook hangs when returning from suspended state

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatL, Jan 14, 2010.

1. pfitchett

pfitchett Junior Member

I am having this problem after returning from Suspend when running a proprietary development environment. The program hangs with just the outlines of its windows drawn - the contents of the windows are left transparent.

I also have to reinstall Parallels Tools periodically as copy&paste (usually in just one direction) between Mac <-> PC stops working.

It is now over 3 months since this issue was raised - some resolution would sure be appreciated.

2. PatL

PatL Junior Member

Unworkable and frustrating

This is getting ridiculous. Not only am I having to restart my virtual machine every single time I want to use Outlook without it freezing whenever I attempt to create a new email message, the virtual machine "takes hostage" the rest of my MacBook Pro not with excessive CPU usage, but with excessive disk activity. This was never the case with the previous versions of Parallels Desktop. I've been a loyal customer through the past several versions, but this is the most unworkable and frustrating "upgrade" ever!

I just waited 15 minutes for my Windows XP virtual machine to boot up! And all I use on my Virtual Machine are MS Office applications!

3. samx

samx Junior Member

workaround fix

give this workaround a try:
    1. resume your vm from suspended state.
    2. once windows in the vm is running, don't start any windows apps or click on anything in windows.
    3. instead, copy some text on the mac side (e.g. from a web page in safari)
    4. now go back to windows and go to Start -> Run
    5. type "clipbrd" to start the clipboard viewer. you should see the text you copied from the mac app.

if i do this routine when resuming a vm, i never experience the hung windows apps. i think by copying some text on the mac side before doing anything in windows, it does something to CPInterceptor to cause it to function normally.

if you don't see the text you copied in the windows clipboard viewer, then CPInterceptor isn't working. copy/paste won't work and windows apps will hang when you try to start them up.

please parrallels, fix this. it's sad that a user like me has to investigate the issue, then jump through so many hoops to work around a bug in your program.

4. PatL

PatL Junior Member

Sam,

You've made my week! I've only tried your workaround once and no hang-ups yet. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pat

5. Christer Blom

Christer Blom Bit poster

4D Client

I can reproduce the error simply and so far to 100%:
    After suspending Parallels I start 4D Client (v2004.6) and CPInterceptor will force me to restart Win XP.

6. Nrasser

Nrasser Junior Member

CPInterceptor.exe

I can confirm that this issue is affecting LabVIEW 2009 when operated under a Parallels Windows XP VM (LabVIEW fails to launch, requiring restart of the VM, or the CPInterceptor process to be killed). Is there some way to safely disable CPInterceptor if the clipboard transfer between MacOS and the VM is not needed?

7. Nrasser

Nrasser Junior Member

"CPInterceptor" Causing Hang in Parallels 5

I've traced this to threads running under the "prl_cc.exe" process. The name of the thread is CopyPasteTool and it derives from CopyPasteTool.dll, which on my machine is installed in C:/Program Files/Parallels/Parallels Tools/Plugins. Using Process Explorer to kill all threads named "CopyPasteTool" under the "prl_cc.exe" process causes the hang issue to resolve immediately in LabVIEW 2009 and Outlook.

8. Adam Schneider

Adam Schneider Bit poster

I can confirm that killing the CopyPasteTool processes resolves the hangs... unfortunately, it also removes the ability to copy and paste, so I still have to restart!

By the way, although I'm having the CPInterceptor problems, I'm NOT using any Microsoft Office applications, unless you count IE.

9. richm

richm Bit poster

I am also having this 'Outlook freezing on every resume from suspend' issue. Please help - I moved over to Parallels from VMWare and would hate to have to move back again because of such a bad experience.

10. samx

samx Junior Member

workaround

after you resume from suspend, copy some text from any mac app before you do anything in the windows vm. cpinterceptor will then continue to function as normal if it was working before the vm was suspended. copy/paste between host/vm will work and windows apps won't freeze.

note that this workaround doesn't revive a frozen windows app. if outlook or any other windows app freezes when you try to use it, you will need to reboot the vm first to get CPInterceptor working again. then next time you suspend and resume, follow the procedure stated above.

previous post:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=411927&postcount=23

11. Michael Savory

Michael Savory Bit poster

Maybe fix??

I had this same issue, it seemed to start when I uninstalled Visio 2003.

I tried to reinstall Parallells Tools, but it errored saying I did not have a valid optical drive.

I noticed that my VM did not register as having a CD/DVD Player, so I shut down windows and in the HW config I removed the CD/DVD drive and re-added it.

I then restarted Windows and re-installed Parallelts Tools.

After a reboot it seems to work O now.

Mike

12. KelliG

KelliG Bit poster

cp interceptor hangs

CPInterceptor clearly is an issue. My problem mirrors everyone else. In addition, Parallels 5 has slowed everything down to a crawl.

13. PatL

PatL Junior Member

I'm really disappointed that we've yet hear anything back from Parallels Support.

14. samx

samx Junior Member

cpinterceptor bug still not fixed in 5.0.9370

15. JeremyD

JeremyD Bit poster

This problem with copy and pasting between MacOS and the Windows VM is still causing software hanging issues on the VM side in Parallels desktop 6. As mentioned before, it seems to be related to the CPInterceptor.

16. Michael Savory

Michael Savory Bit poster

CPInterceptor hangs

Im not seeing it anywhere nearly as frequently, but I have been careful to make sure I copy unformatted text before attempting to paste into a recently unsuspended VM. Pasting some sort of non-text data is what seems to me to case CPInterceptor to become unresponsive.

Mike

17. samx

samx Junior Member

this cpinterceptor bug is still not fixed in parallels 6.0.11822 . what is the deal??

18. samx

samx Junior Member

i think the CPInterceptor bug has finally been resolved in 6.0.11990.621014.

i've suspended and restarded my vm a few times and have not experienced the hangs that i saw before.

it took them long enough, but i'm thankful parallels finally got around to fixing this bug.

19. aarjay

aarjay Bit poster

I am experiencing Outlook hanging after my mac OS goes into sleep mode.

It also affects other programmes, such as word.

I will try increasing the sleep mode facility to see if this helps.

I will also give the troubleshooting steps kindly posted by SamX at try.

This thread has been running since January 2010, and Parallels Tech support appears to be avoiding liken the plague.

I think this will be the last time I spend money on an upgrade.

Poor show.

20. aarjay

aarjay Bit poster

I know how much time, effort and frustration it takes me before I visit a forum so I hope the following information might be of help to anyone else experiencing this problem.

I have adjusted the power save option under the System Preference on my mac and ever since I did this, I have experienced no further problems.

It would therefore appear to me that it is the stand bye facility on the mac os is causing the problem.