What programs can I use? Mac Store guy says limited options...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SpaceCadette06, Jan 27, 2007.

1. SpaceCadette06

SpaceCadette06 Bit poster

Okay, so I just bought a Mac Book Pro today (1/26/07) and was going to purchase the Parallels software so I can use my school's ArcMap 9.1 Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software that is only compatible for windows. However, the clerk at the store said that parallels only works with "windows for mac" software. What does this mean? I cant use just any windows software that I want? How will I know what software will work through the program? If ArcMap and ArcMap related softwares will not work with this then I need to return by laptop and buy a Dell.... please help!

2. furfurfur

furfurfur Member

That sounds like he's talking crap to be perfectly honest... maybe he is misinformed, or just meant that Parallels *is* "Windows for MAC" or something like that.

Most software will work 100% it's just 3D games and stuff that does weird things with direct hardware access won't work.

I'd give it a try!

3. fye

fye Bit poster

Simply install the evaluation copy of Parallels and decide for yourself. In my experience virtually any app I need in Windows works briliiantly under Parallels.

Stuff that I use the most are MS Visio, Project and Office, and usually they perform better than on my Windows notebook. :)

4. SpaceCadette06

SpaceCadette06 Bit poster

Well, that leads me to another question because GIS programs are mainly an organized collection of computer hardware, software, geographic data, and personnel designed to efficiently capture, store, update, manipulate, analyze, and display all forms of geographically referenced information. All in "real view", or 3D so we can truly analyze all angles and views. To show you an example of what Im talking about click here: http://www.rockvillemd.gov/gis/ and here's another (better) view of what I do.: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volunteer/gis/

I hope this explains what I need to be able to do....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  5. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Hi SpaceCadett06

Don't worry about what the clerk said, it sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is some software that won't work with Parallels: some games and CAD software that require hardware graphics accelleration.

But, the entire ArcGIS Desktop suite (ArcMap, ArcCatalog., etc.) runs just great in Parallels. That has been by main #1 use for Parallels from day one.

None of the examples you showed above would require hardware graphics accelleration; that kind of 3D visualization is rendered by the software itself.

However, there is one catch: I license the ArcGIS software by connecting to a license server at my school that lets the software know if has permission to run. I know that the alternative to this setup involves a USB dongle to provide copy protection, and I know that some people have been having some issues getting Parallels to recognize their USB dongle.

So, the conclusion is, if you license the ArcGIS software using a remote license server, you will have no problems. If you use a USB dongle for copy protection, you might have some kinks to iron out in order to get the hardware recognized by Parallels.

6. pkluyt

pkluyt Bit poster

Don't worry too much about USB dongles. I have three navigation software applications that require a copy protection USB dongle. All three work without a problem. One only has to connect the dongle after parallels/ windows has started or to make sure in the menu that parallels sees the dongle.

Best regards, Peter

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Regarding CAD software, I have Rhino installed in a Windows VM and it works great. I'm hoping to install and test some CNC controller software but am waiting until the USB issues are solved in GA released form. Machines that cut metal are unforgiving of USB errors.

If it works well I may release the environment as a Linux CAD/CNC appliance for Parallels.

8. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

That doesn't mean anything.

There is no "windows for mac" software. Go back and ask him to explain what "windows for mac" software is.

9. shadow9600

shadow9600 Bit poster

I agree with the others here, the clerk you spoke with doesn't have a clue.