What programs can I use? Mac Store guy says limited options...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SpaceCadette06, Jan 27, 2007.

1. SpaceCadette06

SpaceCadette06 Bit poster

Okay, so I just bought a Mac Book Pro today (1/26/07) and was going to purchase the Parallels software so I can use my school's ArcMap 9.1 Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software that is only compatible for windows. However, the clerk at the store said that parallels only works with "windows for mac" software. What does this mean? I cant use just any windows software that I want? How will I know what software will work through the program? If ArcMap and ArcMap related softwares will not work with this then I need to return by laptop and buy a Dell.... please help! :confused:

2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Hi SpaceCadett06

Don't worry about what the clerk said, it sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is some software that won't work with Parallels: some games and CAD software that require hardware graphics accelleration.

But, the entire ArcGIS Desktop suite (ArcMap, ArcCatalog., etc.) runs just great in Parallels. That has been by main #1 use for Parallels from day one.

However, there is one catch: I license the ArcGIS software by connecting to a license server at my school that lets the software know if has permission to run. I know that the alternative to this setup involves a USB dongle to provide copy protection, and I know that some people have been having some issues getting Parallels to recognize their USB dongle.

So, the conclusion is, if you license the ArcGIS software using a remote license server, you will have no problems. If you use a USB dongle for copy protection, you might have some kinks to iron out in order to get the hardware recognized by Parallels.

3. SpaceCadette06

SpaceCadette06 Bit poster

How would I go about licensing the ArcGIS software using a remote license server? (I'm at UT- Austin, so Im sure it possible) but I dont know much about anything outside of my own little laptop world!

4. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

That is something you would have to take up with whoever at your school is providing you the software (In my case, it was our department's IT guy). At a large school like yours with lots of people using the software, chances are, it is already set up that way, you jsut have to get the info from your admin.

Are you already using ArcGIS on a PC? If you are, then you are either plugging in a dongle or connecting it to a license server already, so whichever one of those you are doing, it would be the same going through Parallels.

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

never believe a Mac Store guy unless he has a parallels demo set up for you to try

Hugh W

6. debbie marshall

debbie marshall Junior Member

ArcGIS USB license key

I have an iMAC with Intel Core Duo processor runing OS X 10.4.8 using Parallels Desktop Build 1940. I have installed ArcGIS software and attached the USB license key but the key isn't recognized so the program won't work. Error: SuperPro driver installed, harware key not plugged in. Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

There is no such thing as "'windows for mac' software." There is only Windows software and Mac OS software.

David

8. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

@SpaceCadette06: Since you've already bought the MacBook Pro, (congrats! I envy you <g>.), you're in luck. Just download the Parallels trial version and see if ArcMap works for you. No risk!

@debbie marshall: build 1940? The current stable release is 3188 (was 3186 briefly). Prior to that it was 1970. Perhaps you made a typo and meant 1970? I'll monitor this thread and if you mention that you've updated to 3188 I'll be glad to help you troubleshoot ArcMap. It's important that we don't report results based upon deprecated software here. It tends to hinder people who are in the process of making decisions. There have been roughly 1200 team developer builds between 1970 and 1388. As a software dev (not a Parallels dev), I can attest to the fact that builds 1970 & 3188 are probably not even remotely related. 1200 team builds represents a *phenomenal* amount of work.

9. debbie marshall

debbie marshall Junior Member

I have upgraded to Paralles Build 3188 and have the license issues solved - ArcGIS is running. BUT it's slow. I have an iMAC with 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor running OS X 10.4.8; 1 GB memory. So my next question is what are the minimum MAC requirements for running ArcGIS and what is recommended?

Debbie

10. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Glad to hear that you got the licensing issues squared away. I've never used ArcGIS, but many people here have gotten themselves in a performance bind when running virtualized environments on Macs with only 1 GB of RAM. This isn't a Parallels problem. It's related to how RAM has to be divided between virtual machines and the host OS. You might try giving your Windows VM 384 MB and turning off as much Windows & OS X eye candy as you can stand. Then you just might be OK with a 1 GB machine. 2 GB would be a lot better, allocating 512 - 768 MB to the VM. Actually, 1.5 GB would probably be OK, too, but that's a very uncommon configuration.