Keyboard Stops Working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Pazuzu, May 4, 2010.

1. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I started a new thread for this issue because the original issue was under a different build.

Basically, I am having a problem running Windows 7 Ultimate as the guest OS on top of Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, Build 5.0.9344 (Revision 558741; March 5, 2010). This seems to happen after the guest OS is suspended or stopped (i.e. when I reboot my laptop). If I manually reboot Windows (just the guest OS), I can once again use the keyboard to interact with Windows. Is this due to a configuration error? Is there a fix for this? Is anyone else having this issue?

2. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

Does anyone from Parallels actively monitor the forums? I'm wondering if I should just open a ticket with Parallels support since the forums activity seems slow.

3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I've done some more troubleshooting and the issue appears to be with the Coherence view. If I switch to another view and back again, the keyboard issue disappears. I also tried to apply the updated Parallels Tools based on the following KB: http://kb.parallels.com/8296. Unfortunately that did not have any affect. This seems to be a Coherence view issue. I tried to open a ticket but the support system seems to be hosed at the moment as it wont let me submit a ticket.

4. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I have recently updated to Parallels 5 Build 5.0.9370 (Revision 589435; July 16 2010); however the problem persists. After the guest (Windows 7 Ultimate) returns from being suspended or paused, the keyboard stops working in the guest OS. If I switch views, for example, from Coherence to Window and then back again, the keyboard works. I've opened several support requests about this but have not heard of any solution to this annoyance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. JakobM

JakobM Bit poster

Hi,

i have the same problem with the newest version of Parallels Dektop 5 und Windows XP SP3. The solution "If I switch to another view and back again, the keyboard issue disappears" works for me, but our customers are frustrating to switch the view every morning. We have iMac with num-keyboard (Apple)

6. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

Hi Jakob, I'm sure glad someone else has voiced a similar problem. I was beginning to think I might be the only one with this issue. I've been trying to get the attention of Parallels support for a while to no avail. Sadly, this has been an ongoing issue for months. Maybe if there's enough people complaining, someone will take notice.

7. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

Just applied the latest update so now I am running Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, Build 5.0.9376 (Revision 599993; August 27, 2010). Unfortunately the problem persists. After returning from a suspended state, the keyboard is non-functional. I have to switch views for the keyboard to start working again.

8. JakobM

JakobM Bit poster

My solution to solve the problem was to start an application and not paralles desktop with the user log-on.
    Now the keyboard works.

Pazuza: Try a workaround and start an application of Windows 7 with the user log-on in OSX. Use a Batch, which automatically exit.

9. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by starting an application with the "user log-on". Could you provide specific steps?

As a side note, workarounds are great; however, I think Parallels needs to correct this behavior. It's frustrating that we have to make accommodations or jump through hoops to restore a fundamental function such as keyboard input. This post has been on here for a while without anyone from support chiming in to offer some sort of reassurance the issue is being researched or to tell us...well...something.

10. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Does enabling "Optimize modifier keys for games" affect this issue? In Parallels 5 it's under Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Services.

11. JakobM

JakobM Bit poster

That's right.

My solution: I have a shortcut for a windowsapplication on the desk ( I hope it calls desk, because this is the translation from german). This shortcut starts with der user log-on.
    Before my solution i started parallels with the user log-on und windows starts XP in the background automatically. The user did not have to wait for the start of XP, but after starting application the keyboard does not work. Now the application start with user log-on instead XP. I hope you understand! ;-)

12. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I tried setting that option and this morning the problem is still there so unfortunately this had no effect.

13. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I recently upgraded to Parallels Desktop 6 (Build 6.0.11822, Revision 604190 dated September 14, 2010) and while it is only the second day, the problem seems to have been corrected. Immediately after a cold boot of my MacBook Pro I started several Windows-based applications and I was able to use the keyboard in all of them without having to switch my view. I'm a bit pessimistic so I will hold off final judgment until I've had a few days to play around with the new software - though so far so good!

14. RalphT

RalphT Member

My keyboard didn't work at all with v6 and a Windows XP SP3 install. Please help me with this.

15. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Please, run your virtual machine, open device manager and check that keyboard present there.
    Create and send problem report throw "Help->Report a problem" menu of your Parallels Desktop.
    Post Report Id here.

16. RalphT

RalphT Member

I had a Webex session with level 2 tech support and they looked at my install remotely, saw the problem I'm experiencing, had me submit a report, emailed logs and found the problem. I was asked to roll back.