Windows 7 video issues with 10.6.3 and Parallels Build 9344

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ianross, Mar 30, 2010.

1. WallaceW

WallaceW Bit poster

Got Microsoft RDC to work so I can use virtual machine

Still having issue with black screen, but I installed Microsoft RDC (Remote DeskTop Controler) and connected to virtual machine and the display worked.

I hope this helps.

Wallace

2. OleK

OleK Bit poster

Problem because of more than one monitor

Following infos about my system:
    Modellname: MacBook Pro
    Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro5,1
    Prozessortyp: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,4 GHz
    Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
    Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
    L2-Cache: 3 MB
    Speicher: 4 GB
    Busgeschwindigkeit: 1,07 GHz
    Boot-ROM-Version: MBP51.007E.B05
    SMC-Version (System): 1.41f2
    Seriennummer (System): W******
    Hardware-UUID: *******-****-****-****-*****E55304D
    Sensor für plötzliche Bewegung:

I could reproduce it, when i had another monitor connected. In my case it was an USB monitor device from DisplayLink
    System is running in 64bit kernel. DisplayLink is working in 64bit (version 1.6b)

without connecting any other monitor to my macbook I was able to start windows 7. After the login screen I plugged it in again in order to use it. From now on I always put my computer into Pause :)

3. ianross

ianross Junior Member

@OleK

Same result here. I unplugged the DisplayLink monitor and the W7 VM booted fine, with Cinema display still connected.

I'm running DisplayLink v1.5. Anyone else with the same problem also running a DisplayLink external monitor?

4. JNagy98

JNagy98 Bit poster

DisplayLink v1.5

Yes, I am having the same problem and I am running an iMo USB monitor with DisplayLink v1.5 Installed. If I turn off the monitor and start Windows 7, everything will come up just fine. I can even turn the monitor back on after Windows has finished launching. Although Windows won't recognize the monitor at least everything starts. I was running the USB monitor in portrait mode before the upgrade to OS X 10.6.3 but had some display problems and switched to Landscape mode. So methinks that there is a DisplayLink issue and Parallels is being affected by it.

Just for the record I have two Apple Monitors a 30" and a 24" connected and that seems to work just fine with Parallels & Windows 7. (I have Windows 7 64 & 32 and Vista 64 & 32 and all were affected. Windows XP started just fine, although come to think of it, it doesn't use the multi monitor support.) Hmm...

Any other thoughts and/or input.

5. genxseven

genxseven Bit poster

Same problem

Im having same problems. My mouse and comp locks up. This happened after the 10.6.3 upgrade. I have a mac mini and running three monitors. One of them through usb.

6. genxseven

genxseven Bit poster

Im having the same problem on mac mini. Occurred after 10.6.3 upgrade. I run three monitors including one through usb. My mouse and comp locks up.

7. LaurenceE

LaurenceE Bit poster

Similar Problem to WorstC

My Problem sounds more like the one WorstC reports:
    I have a two year old Macbook, OSX 10.6.3, Parallels build 9433. I get funny blocks of colors, swiggles, wierd characters, sometime over the whole screen, sometimes just on the bottom 1/3 of screen. It goes away temporarily if I minimize whatever is open and restore it to full screen. It then may randomly pop up. It happens after rebooting Win 7, or both Win7 and OSX. It also happens everytime I open the lid if I leave the Mac in Windows when I close it. This started last week after a short spate of upgrades to OSX software, Parallels and various Win7 patches. My Mac had been idle for a few weeks while I worked on another computer project.

Lee

8. AndréB

AndréB Bit poster

Got it resolved by <fn-F8> starting the VM in Full screen (Spaces off), then selecting Repair your Computer from the advanced boot options. You should get a screen a with various options; I used system restore and found my latest restore point from before the update. This gave me a working system again. Installed the updated Parallels tools, and have been able to log in and out of my Win7 VM again. One caveat; I have not rebooted my mac since, so there still is a potential point of failure.

9. NormanD

NormanD Bit poster

I already contacted support and they said its a 10.6.3 problem, but just to show others that the Eve problem is a general problem and not one of just one person, i also repost here.

Have the same graphics-glitch Problem in Eve, Windows 7.

Ticket #901765

10. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi NormanD,
    the case is under attention; support will keep you posted on the progress.

11. NormanD

NormanD Bit poster

I know, i said that, just wanted to show other users that it is a general problem and not a personal one like misconfiguration, like i said in the post :)

12. serv

serv Forum Maven

Please don't mix up different issues here.
    The original poster of this thread reported Windows 7 booting into black screen in 10.6.3. As OleK has pointed out this is related to DisplayLink drivers for USB-to-DVI boxes. We've fixed the issue internally, the fix will be included in the next update of PD5. As a temporary workaround you can disconnect USB-to-DVI box before starting or resuming the VM.
    Eve Online issue is different, we're tracking it separately.

13. ianross

ianross Junior Member

Hi serv,

Great news that a fix as been fixed internally. When is the next update of PD5 / hotfix scheduled to be released? Keen to know when the USB shuffle won't be necessary anymore.

14. serv

serv Forum Maven

ianross,

The exact date is not set yet. Update is in the works, it will incorporate other fixes and will need full test cycle on new Apple hardware.

15. MarcusH

MarcusH Junior Member

Same issue here

If you are able to boot Win 7 in safe mode try rolling back the video driver to the previous version. I am able to run the VM with that (still can't switch to full screen with multiple monitors attached, still can't use coherence, but at least am now able to use Win 7 in a window).

16. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

I'm seeing the same issue here iMac 2.93 GHz 4GB RAM OS X 10.6.3 and latest Parallels 5 update. Was working fine before I updated to 10.6.3. I do have a Mimo 7" USB monitor using Displaylink drivers which didn't cause a problem in 10.6.2. NOTE: this is a USB-only monitor, not a USB to DVI monitor. It will boot in safe mode with networking but that's no good.

Also, I physically disconnected the monitor and tried to restart the Parallels VM and still got the black screen

17. genxseven

genxseven Bit poster

Is there an update out for this?

18. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

Nice...I've sent two replies so far (one a couple weeks ago) the mods have not decided to post.....I'm still having this issue....

19. uotony

uotony Member

I'll chime in here: I am having the same problem with my DisplayLink adapter, and I can get Windows to boot up by disconnecting DisplayLink.

Will be happy to provide more details, and test hotfixes.

Thanks!

20. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

Parallels Team: Any progress on this issue?