iMac Sleep Crashes VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dentate, Apr 20, 2006.

1. dentate

dentate Member

I am running an XP SP2 VM on an iMac 20" 256 VRAM 2GB RAM. When the host went to sleep, the VM "hung" and needed to be force quit. After the force quit, when I opened the VM again it told me that another instance of the VM was already running. I then quit that one, and was finally able to start it again normally.

2. n4khq

n4khq Member

If I leave the MBP 2 -( XP SP2 - OS 10.4.6 - Beta-4 - 512 Mb VM -1 GB for parallels) until it goes to sleep and leave it asleep for several minutes. When awaken, the screen flashes the XP windows, goes black with the windows logo screen saver and vm freezes. OS X and Parallels is alive until I restart the VM or try to stop VM. Parallels gives you the spinning beach ball of Force Quit. If I put the computer to sleep or let it go to sleep and awaken it within a couple of minutes, it is fine, it must set for about 15 minutes to freeze. I will try turning off the XP screen saver and see if that is causing the problem.

3. myktee

myktee Bit poster

Same symptoms here, Parallels freezes after lengthy sleep.

MBP, OS X 10.4.5, Parallels Beta4, 512 MB VM, WinXP SP2 guest OS with all security updates.

4. tech_head

tech_head Member

Same here.
    I have a MBP with 1.5Gigs of RAM.
    It sleeps and Parallels hangs and requires a "Force Quit".

tech

5. konstantin

konstantin Member

if you search the forum, you'll find that the beta4 issues thread is full of these mbp problem reports.

6. n4khq

n4khq Member

I set the screen saver in XP to something like 300 minutes and I have not had the problem again but it has only been a day.

7. Djoh

Djoh Member

Same problem here, MiniMac/Duo. The sceensaver didn't seem to be running, but I will check it and turn all that + energy saver (in windows) off. This happened when VM was Win2000 Or XP.
    I noticed that it was running in "Intel VT-x" before i left this morning, and when I came back many hours later, it was in "Software mode 0" (with the Win2000 VM dead+unresponsive, but Parallels.app running fine).

8. plarusa

plarusa Member

Make sure sound is disabled. There is a problem described in other posts where VMs crash when sleeping/resuming if sound is enabled.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting! We already know about this issue and working on it.