Detecting File Changes on Network Share

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by solus, Jan 30, 2010.

1. solus

solus Member

In both OS X (10.5.8) and the guest Windows VM (WinXP Pro SP3), I access the same folder containing numerous files. The folder exists under OS X, and is shared using Parallels .PFS, set in the VM Configuration panel under Shared Folders "User-defined Max OS X folders".

If I make a change to a file under OS X, such as changing content, renaming, or even deleting it, in the Windows folder view, no change is automatically detected, and I have to press F5 to refresh the window.

Is there any way to configure Parallels, OS X, and/or Windows so that files changes made under OS X are immediately reflected under WinXP?

Under OS X System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing, I have enabled AFP. Would enabling SMB help? Should I create a SMB share instead of the through Parallels?

Is there a change I could make to my Router to push changes?

2. Ian Carey

Ian Carey Bit poster

Any fix for this?

I'm having the same issue--folders have to be manually refreshed. Solus, did you ever get a response, or find anything that worked on your own? (Parallels 4 running Windows XP on Leopard.)

3. solus

solus Member

Sorry, I was unable to ever get that working. I believe I read more on the topic after posting, and found that it wasn't possible, although I can't recall the exact reason.

4. Ian Carey

Ian Carey Bit poster

Thanks anyway. Found out it was only happening in the shared folders (like the desktop, etc.) and am leaning towards living with it instead of disconnecting the folders. It'd be nice if Parallels responded to these questions, though.

5. StefanC1

StefanC1 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I wanted to make sure this was a problem with Parallels, so I tried the same on VMware Fusion. In VMware Fusion, file changes on network shares are detected with no problem.

This is actually a very big problem for us, since we are a dev studio, and if our IDE doesn't detect external changes done by tools, then we have to reload the entire project each time. Quite a pain :(