Run two Windows instances at once

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by echuck, May 19, 2010.

1. echuck

echuck Junior Member

Is it possible to run two different Windows VMs at the same time? Say Win XP SP2 in a window and Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit in Coherence or Crystal?

Anyone have good or bad experiences doing this?

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I've done that with an XP and a Win7 VM on an MBAir. The experience was as expected - the MBAir has only 2 GB of Ram, so I experienced a lot of swapping. I did this more as a proof of concept to see whether it worked at all - and yes, it did. My guess is if you have the Ram to do it, you should not experience any issues with running multiple VMs.

3. echuck

echuck Junior Member

Sweet. I gave it a try and so far both instances of Windows are working well.

4. iduff

iduff Product Expert

If each is set up to view the same, it runs superbly. However, if they are set up to be viewed differently, say one in Coherence, and one in Crystal, boy do things go pear-shaped. Caveat emptor.

5. echuck

echuck Junior Member

I have XP in "Window" and Win7 in "Coherence". They seem to be working great with the minor annoyance that Cmd+H hides both machines when I would prefer that it only hide the one with keyboard focus.

I haven't tried "Coherence" vs. "Crystal" and based on your experience I won't bother. Thanks for the info.