Desktop shortcuts / aliases for paralles virtual machines

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by outlawrocketman, Jan 27, 2007.

1. outlawrocketman

outlawrocketman Junior Member

Hi, trying to get aliases on my Mac OS X desktop to that with one click I can fire up a given virtual machine (win XP, solaris, etc). Tried following the directions in the docs for RC1 (ctrl-command drag the title bar) but I can seem to get that to do anything. Anyone know how to make this go? Thanks.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Open Finder and go into the Library/Parallels folder. There you will see all your VMs. Go into the VM folder you wish to start up, select the pvs file and create an alias. That alias can be dragged to your desktop or to your dock. Clicking on it will load the VM.

Edit: Correction: The pvs icon can be dragged to the dock (where it becomes an alias). The alias you create can be dragged to the desktop or any folder you wish.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  3. outlawrocketman

outlawrocketman Junior Member

Ah, thought there was some better "official" method. Thanks much.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The current RC asks if you want a desktop alias created for the new VM but that's the last chance you have for Parallels to create it. After that you use OS X to get the job done.