OSX Menu Bar when in full screen mode

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lebrett, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lebrett

lebrett Bit poster

I am new to Paralells (coming from VMWare) and I am still learning my way around. I am used to work in full screen mode in a different Space so Windows appears as a separate computer. Is there a way to use the OSX Menu Bar without leaving Full Screen Mode?

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I don't think so. Try running your VM in a window and make that Window exactly as large as your screen, minus the OS X menu bar.

3. BernhardB

BernhardB Hunter

Shaddam - I would second lebrett.
    I look for the same and the window mode does not give me the same functionality as full screen + option for menubar.

It is so very quiet in here from the Parallels officials on many posts.

Someone still out there to listen in all these posts?

4. Dave Spackman

Dave Spackman Parallels Team

Hotkeys show PS X menu bar when in full screen mode

BernhardB, et al,

Whether using a single display or multiple displays, and using Spaces or not, there is an easy way to access
    the OS X Dock and Menu Bar when the guest OS is in full screen mode. the Ctrl+Option keys will temporarily
    display both. If you have your Dock hidden, then it will not show but the Menu Bar still appears. If you have
    the Dock hidden, you can simply use the Command+Option+D to toggle the show/hide functions. Give it a try:)

-David

5. BernhardB

BernhardB Hunter

David, thank you for your answer.

I am aware of the hot keys. I could a) agree or I would b) still like to disagree and this looks this in an argument:
    a) I would agree and say: Yes, there is a solution to my problem and it simply consists in pressing keys. No worries.

b) I still like to disagree because I see OS X compliancy violated. And the compliancy says to me that I want the menubar available "at at glance" for quick information access - just as it is available in any other OS X application. And I want the mouse over on a hidden dock - just as it is available in any other OSX application.

And because I understand that many others are happy with the full screen mode as it is, I am simply suggesting that there should be an option.

Since PD is singular in both cases, it causes awkward situations, especially on a multi monitor setups, and these situations are like this "I need a quick glance at the menubar. Oh, I am not on my second monitor, and now it need to extra use my keyboard." Or when wanting to access the dock, I sometimes first click my second monitor because then I know, I will get the dock on mouse over.

Full OS X compliancy would feel fluent. Everything else is OK, but just not fluent, which is like bumps in road while driving.

Do you understand this?