Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) as the Host OS anyone?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by mdlueck, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

I would like to upgrade my Ubuntu 9.04 workstation all the way to 10.04 as it is an LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu.

The only version of Ubuntu listed on the supported list is 9.04... http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/pd4wl/sr/

Does anyone know if Parallels 4 (4.0.6630.449744) works with Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)?

Req to Parallels: Please officially support the LTS releases of Ubuntu! :)

2. jrcpvaz

jrcpvaz Bit poster

Parallels 4 for Windows and Linux will NOT install with Ubuntu 10.04 as host. See the Parallels supported OS list.

3. jrcpvaz

jrcpvaz Bit poster

It is useful to note that I have been successful in installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my Mac OS X 10.6.2 AND I have installed Parallels Tools in that guest OS as well. Somehow, I managed to forget that I did that and I noted in other places that Parallels Tools would not install with Ubuntu 10.04 as guest on a Mac. Mia Culpa.

4. SébastienL

SébastienL Bit poster

Hello guys,
    does it mean that it is impossible for the moment to install parallel on ubuntu 10.4? Do you think it will be possible soon?
    thanks in advance

5. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Correct. Seems the current Parallels code (v4) for Linux will only install on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope).

6. weaponx69

weaponx69 Bit poster

Just installed parallels 4 on 10.04

Hi,
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I just installed parallels 4 on Ubuntu 10.04 this morning after the update. I had no idea it wasn't supported. I just clicked the Ubuntu link and didn't see any notes about 10.04 not working. It installs and shows up in the system tools- ...until you reboot it. After that it disappears to some unknown place. It runs after I installed it and allowed me to quick install windows 7 as a guest. The only problem is that it didn't run my copy of windows 7. It said the hard disk couldn't be found. I just need to find the executable again since it disappeared. Anyone know where the executable disappeared to?

7. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Interesting news...

Greetings weaponx69: Interesting news indeed.

Could you report what exact version you happen to be running? I have 4.0.6630 and I just did "check for updates" and it replied that no updates are available.

I am not sure what you are asking about... "hard disk can not be found" but then you are talking about "executable disappearing". Could you help me understand what you are asking?

Thanks!

8. weaponx69

weaponx69 Bit poster

Hello

Hi,
    I think I have the same version you have. It is version 4 and I am assuming its the newest. I does an update when I install it. I haven't checked the update version but it worked for my machine until I rebooted the machine.
    What I'm talking about when I said I am getting the error, the disk cannot be found. I am talking about when I boot the windows 7 virtual machine. I just tried to quick install for windows 7 and everything seemed to work ok until I tried to start it. That's when I got the error from windows 7 that the primary hard disk couldn't be found. I tried to reboot my physical machine to try to fix the problem but after I rebooted, the Applications->System Tools entry disappeared for parallels. I read the manual and tried to run it from the command line with the command "parallels-desktop" but that didn't work. I saw a splash screen with a little wheel whirling around but it said that it had a problem starting the vitual machine services and had me send a crash report to parallels. I haven't gotten anything back yet. I just purchased and downloaded parallels today. If I keep having trouble, I'll just get a refund and go with VMware workstation instead. I'll let you know if I got it to work though or if I had to switch.

Brian

9. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

10. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

hhhmmm....

About checking the version, if you get it to start again, on the main Parallels window Help \ About will show you the version number.

Sounds disturbing the behavior you are seeing.

VirtualBox works quite well for me. It does not run DOS as well as Parallels does. Not sure what is going to happen to it since Oracle gobbled up Sun.