Incredibly Frustrating! Printing Problems P5 w/Win7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bill Hall, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bill Hall

Bill Hall Member

Problem:
    - Getting error when trying to print from Win7 on Parallels 5x on Snow Leopard
    - Error appears in Mac OS printer que: -31000

What I've tried:
    - Reinstalling tools
    - Restarting printer
    - Using generic HP Color Laserjet 8500ps (which doesn't exist. So I used 9500)
    - Following the outdated and simply wrong instructions in Parallels KB (ID: 5036- Setting up printer in windows)

What else do I try? I've done everything the forums have mentioned and other outside resources. This seems to be an annoyance of others. Parallels.. what's the problem? Why can't we print using native printer drivers.

2. Bill Hall

Bill Hall Member

Ok- Got it working. Ends up in Windows 7, HP does not include the drivers for the Laserjet 8500ps. You have to install a new printer and at some point, click an obscure button that says update drivers. It magically loads this printer driver. Finally working.

Note to Paralells: Because of this, the install printer instructions don't work and are inaccurate. Additionally, the instructions call for the user to add a parallel port and this option also doesn't exist which the KB calls for. Finally, why can't I use the native Brother drivers for my brother printer? This is kind of wonky (imo).