Multiple Windows Application Folders

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by freedenizen, Nov 4, 2009.

1. freedenizen

freedenizen Bit poster

Running Windows 7 BootCamp partition on 10.6.1 Parallel 5.

Seems that parallels keeps creating more and more shared application folders on the doc, sometimes just changing the view makes a new one, or going into the machine configuration creates yet another. Deleted them all, even unchecked the checkbox to have a shared application folder, after I unchecked it and went to close the machine configuration window, I got another dialog box letting me know it was creating the shared application folder.

2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Looks strange. Can you send problem report and post its number here?
    To send a problem report: Help -> Repor a Problem...

3. freedenizen

freedenizen Bit poster

OK it looks like I was finally able to get rid of them but unchecking it, shutting everything down, deleting the application folders and starting it back up.

Just now, with the machine stopped, I rechecked it, got the alert that it was going to add the applications to the doc. Then started the machine and got 2 more notifications, I then had 3 Application folders.

I didn't see a way to generate an problem report for within crystal, so I exited crystal and started generating a report at which point I got another alert about the application folder bringing the total to 4.

Report ID 745117

4. KtbK

KtbK Bit poster

I have the same problem. I have also noticed that it creates a new folder in applications every time parallels is started for every machine that has the option set even without starting any of the actual virtual machines. I have just had deleted 23 folders from applications. I have turned of the option for now.

5. KtbK

KtbK Bit poster

I am having the same problem. I have also noticed that it creates a new folder in applications for ever machine that has the option enabled just by starting up parallels before booting any virtual machines. I have just deleted 23 folders from applications. The only way i have found to stop it is to turn of the option for all my machines.

6. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Thanks for information. The only solution for now is to disable option "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" in Config -> Options -> Shared Applications.

For now I can't reproduce the issue, but keep trying. If you will notice some "special" things that leads to that bug, please post them here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Spongerius

Spongerius Bit poster

I'm also experiencing this problem in Parallel Desktop 5 for Mac, running on Snow Leopard. Please help to resolve this issue asap.

8. MarvinT

MarvinT Bit poster

"Thanks for information. The only solution for now is to disable option "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" in Config -> Options -> Shared Applications."

I followed the instructions I quoted above but it did not fix the problem. One folder is created each time I launch Parallels. It bothers me to see all those copies of the same folder. I am on Parallels 5 for Mac (build 9344) and Snow Leopard (10.6.3).

Parallels Report ID #939158

9. VirginiaD

VirginiaD Bit poster

"Thanks for information. The only solution for now is to disable option "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" in Config -> Options -> Shared Applications."

I followed the instructions too and it did not solve anything. Even more strange, the "Windows Application" folder that is constantly appearing contains windows applications that are not anymore on the virtual machine because I uninstalled them.

I hope this helps.

10. VirginiaD

VirginiaD Bit poster

I followed the instructions too and it did not solve anything. Even more strange, the "windows application" folder that is constantly appearing, contains also windows applications that are not anymore on the virtual machine because I uninstalled them.

I hope this helps.

11. Josh R

Josh R Bit poster

Any resolutions to this yet? I also tried disabling "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" in Config -> Options -> Shared Applications." and it didn't work.

12. cmaennchen

cmaennchen Bit poster

Multiple links

I have the same problem. Every start of a Parallels-VM (here a Windows XP-VM) causes a new numbered link to the "Windows Applications" folder in the pvm-Folder of the VM. Playing arround with some Parallels settings did'nt solve that issue.
    By the way: I have a second VM (also a Windows XP) with only one link to "Windows Applications", no matter how often I start it...

13. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Remove the old VM (right click in the virtual machine list and select Remove - keep file or move to trash, neither will delete your data unless you manually Empty Trash), then create a new VM from scratch with the same settings and move or copy the .hdd to the new VM and set the VM to use that .hdd.

Does that make the problem go away?

14. Vj_Andrei

Vj_Andrei Bit poster

Hi, my clients computer have the same problem like you seen in this picture[​IMG] so how i fix this one?