Microsoft Office 2010 Smart Select Associations issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KevinClarke, May 14, 2010.

1. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Dear All,

As best as I can tell there appears to be an issue with the new Microsoft Office 2010 and SmartSelect Association configurations set-up. I have the following configuration and problem:

Configuration:

IMAC 10.6.3 4GB RAM 3.06GHZ processor running Parallels 5 and latest build 9344 (Includes the hotfix for the Outlook pst file issue)
    Virtual Machine = Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 (This has just been released)

Problem:

Quite simply if I try to open PowerPoint or Excel documents by double clicking the associated file nothing happens or opens. However, if I do the same to a Word file or OneNote, this opens as expected. That said I am able to open Excel and Powerpoint applications by selecting their application shortcut, this allows me to do an open and then read my files. This is a pain and very time consuming each time I need to read or edit these file types which is very often.

The reason it seems to be related to Parallels are the following:

- If I right click the file type and select properties it does not allow me to change the proper Microsoft application, it only allows the Mac equivalent. That said word selects the correct applicastions works normal.

- Re-installed the complete Office environment from fresh and Creating new Excel or Powerpoint doc and saving, still fails the same way.

- Looking at the Smartselect associations for all the applications in Parallels, it seems the settings are the same as compared to Word. I just wonder if the hooks are missing in this area for Excel and Powerpoint?

- We have tested the new Microsoft office 2010 on a PC and it functions normally without problem.

If anyone has any ideas or has seen the same please let me know

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
    Kevin

2. moas

moas Junior Member

Ditto

Having the same problem. Was using Office 2010 beta and expected some issues. Removed office beta when the final came out, installed and now I can't open Powerpoint or Excel files without being directed to the mac. I've disabled smart associations and mac/win file app sharing, run office repair and still no luck.

3. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Dear Moas,

I have been working with Parallels second level support on this issue. They have since connected to my system and verified this problem and have now passed it onto there development team. HOpefully it will be resolved soon.

If I hear anything I will post it here

Regards
    Kevin

4. moas

moas Junior Member

Success?

I think I may have found a workaround. I opened up smart associations, Disabled the "Make Mac Apps available to Windows" and then set the associated program to non-Mac Powerpoint, Excel etc. I then opened the file from the document folder within Mac OSX and opened a PPT, PPTX, XLSX file one by one. Then when I went back into Win7 (32bit) the files could again be opened from within Outlook, from explorer etc.

Now, I did a lot of fiddling using a program that sets (forces) associations but that kept coming up blank. I could get it to open powerpoint when I selected a powerpoint file, but not open the actual file at the same time. When I did the above all seemed to work again.

Mileage may vary, but if you try opening them up in MacOSX with the non-mac version of office set as the smart association, this may fix it for you as well. Worth a try I suppose.

5. moas

moas Junior Member

This only seemed to fix Excel temporarily

After rebooting this was messed up again.

Any luck on a resolution? I hate to keep having to save a file, open Excel (or PP, or visio, or project) and drag the saved file to the app to get it to open.

6. W.C

W.C Bit poster

I was having a similar problem. Word would work, but Powerpoint, Excel, etc. Would not.

The error it would give was that it could not locate C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\POWERPNT.exe

This is because office 2010 installs into Office14, not Office12. So I just used the mklink command to create a symbolic link between the two directories and everything worked like a charm. Here's how I did it:

c:\> cd c:\program files\microsoft office
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\> mklink /D Office12 Office14

Now when Parallels looks in Office12 for POWERPNT.EXE it finds it!

7. moas

moas Junior Member

Sooo close... unfortunately I have Visio 2007 which is installed in an Office12 folder already. That command returns an error indicating the folder already exists. I don't know enough about the command to create sym links for the files under the folder, as I could see that may work...