Is there a non-WDDM driver for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BEIGE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. BEIGE

BEIGE Member

I'm having bad problems with OpenGL applications in Parallels 5 and even with Aero off, it's still worse than in XP 32-bit. Is there a better driver to use with Windows 7 for OpenGL?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Yes, it's in Parallels Tools folder. XPDM driver installation instructions are below just in case.

But can you describe more specifically what problems you're having with which applications? It would also be usefull to know what Mac you're running on and OS X version too.

This is how to install XP video driver in Vista/7:
    • Click Run in Windows Start menu, type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
    • In the device manager expand Display Adapters, right-click on Parallels Display Adapter and choose Update Driver Software
    • Click Browse my computer for driver software
    • Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    • Click Have Disk and browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Drivers\prl_va
    • Click Next
    • If Windows asks for confirmation select Install this driver software anyway

To revert back to WDDM driver later follow the same steps but select C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Drivers\prl_dd as driver path.
    If anything goes wrong you can always uninstall/reinstall Parallels Tools and the driver will return to WDDM.

3. LaurenceD

LaurenceD Bit poster

WDDM Driver Issues

Hi,

I don't know if this is related but these instructions have just fixed an issue for me.

This morning after a Windows Update reboot my Win 7 install was getting stuck at the Starting Windows... black screen and logo. After trying turning off various things in safe mode it turned out to be related to the WDDM display driver. Initially I switched to the standard VGA driver and that got things working but without the Parallels integration. After following the instructions I've now got the XP driver in place and everything seems to be working correctly again, including integration.

My system details are as follows:

13" MacBook Pro 320Gb HD 4Gb Mem
    MacOS 10.6.3
    Parallels 5.0.9344

Thanks

4. uotony

uotony Member