Mail vs. Entourage vs. Outlook, What to do?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CAKID, Jun 22, 2010.

1. CAKID

CAKID Bit poster

I'm dumping my PC and now have a MacPro with Parallels. Should I be using Mail Entourage or Outlook at my default?
    I was thinking Entourage b/c I wanted to try to stay on the Mac side as much as possible, but I'm concerned about losing the features of Outlook 2007 and the hassle trying to get everything transferred from Outlook to Entourage.
    I'm using it for my business, personal, and mobile me accounts.
    Any advice?

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

I switched to Mac about a year ago and before I always used Outlook on my PCs.
    On Mac, I have tried Apple Mail, Entourage and Thunderbird 3. I didn't like any.
    Entourage is far behind Outlook 2007, except for reminders that can show up even if Entourage is closed.
    I kept Outlook 2007 (no way I could change, except for Outlook 2010).

3. CAKID

CAKID Bit poster

Mail - What's missing

I'm getting comfortable with my mail/calendar/contacts seperate on my iphone and ipad.
    So I'm thinking of moving to Mail. I imagine that syncing between mail/iphone/ipad/mobileme should be better if I don't introduce a 3rd party program.

What features are missing in Mail that are in Outlook? What am I giving up?

4. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Leopard mail did not support exchange servers, although I think Snow Leopard's mail does or is supposed to at some point.

What I missed was having everything all together in one program, but everything being separate when you get used to it works the same. In Outlook you click the calendar, click the mail, click the contacts, etc. and it opens the appropriate screen. If you put iCal, mail, address book on the Dock simply click those instead and they open about as quickly as Outlook switches screen. It was just a matter of getting used to the idea of separate programs.

The programs communicate/work together. For example you can same a contact to the address book from Mail, you can mail an appointment, etc. With Snow Leopard I email appt reminders from Outlook at work and import them on my Mac. I can even accept a request for a meeting. It's just getting used to a new way of doing things.

5. sara li

sara li Bit poster

great post!