Parallels Images ready to download!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GFBurke, Sep 4, 2006.

1. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added: Mepis 6.0

2. ErBiC

ErBiC Bit poster

Only one seed for the Fedora Core 6 image= slooooooow download *cry*

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

see http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ MACTOPIA

FAQ
    Q. What does the announcement about the Intel-based Macs mean for the future of Virtual PC?

A. The Macintosh Business Unit has decided not to make further investments in a Universal version of Virtual PC at this time. Building a high-quality virtualization solution, such as Virtual PC, for the Intel-based Mac would be similar to developing a version 1.0 release due to how closely the product integrates with Mac hardware, and it’s simply not feasible with available development resources. We believe that Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 is still the best emulation solution for PowerPC-based Macs users, and we will continue to support current Virtual PC customers in accordance with Microsoft product support policies. As new virtualization solutions are available for Intel-based Macs, we will continue to work closely with our partners and customers to address the needs of users who wish to run Windows on the Mac.
    <<
    so a Vista package should be possible in a few months time

possibly a deluxe version with Office 2007 too at the top of the line

MS is very much into VM on Vista to support legacy systems

one town in England has replaced about 40 legacy machines with VM running on five state of the art servers
    saving much difficult maintenance and at least $3500 a year in electricty alone

the software systems involved are expensive administrative databases which are well coded and very reliable

Hugh W

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Any update on this? I've installed in in both Parallels and Fusion, and I'm currently installing the FUSE file system to that all the VM's will have a common, easy to use file sharing system. Adding that to the pre-built kit would kick butt.

5. topalli

topalli Bit poster

just put it on rapidshare for goodness sakes.... eom

just put it on rapidshare for goodness sakes.... eom

6. luomat

luomat Hunter

7. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Apple Tax....

Who really needs Vista in a VM like Parallels anyway? XP Pro uses far less of the system resources and god knows how many bugs are in Vista...

I am taking a pass on Vista... at least for a couple of years.... XP is fine enough for my windoze needs.

8. daniello

daniello Junior Member

Thanks for offering these torrents & a question for all...

Anyone able to get Ubuntu Server 6.10 running. The desktop runs fine, but the server installs and then freezes with a weird device error:

"Unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000060 c0100295 00000294"

This happens whether I install from an iso or a burned CD. It install and runs fine in VMware's Mac Beta but I like Parallels better: VMware doesn't support bridged networking for a wireless host so there beta is of little use for me on my Macbook Pro.

I prefer the server, because I am using it to test out web apps and content locally before I push to my linux server--so I don't need a GUI with the accompanying overhead on my laptop.

9. betovarg

betovarg Bit poster

hi, i downloaded ubuntu 6.10, and installed all the updates... the problem is that now after i put my password, i get a black screen... is some tweaking needed for it to work on the mac?

thanx.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  10. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

I just downloaded all 8 images in the last couple of days.

Haiku is not loading at all... Black screen of hanging death with a white cursor.... unblinking...

SUSE is doing great.... except that while I did figure out how to add higher screen sizes, it made my fonts all bigger too and I'm trying to learn how to change them to small.

I am still working out SUSE before I try the Ubuntu and X versions, and PCBSD etc.

I will let ya know...

So far I am 50/50... 1 outa 2 working...

= )

11. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Haiku ? I have not done that distro yet. But I can if you want.

I got permission by Sun to do a Solaris 10 one, however it is VERY system intensive. I cannot see it being a good "virtual" OS. I mean it is just as bad as the Sabayon one that I did, and that's why I didn't release the Sabayon one.

I get a lot of email about how to adjust screen size, drivers etc - however I'd recommend Linux forums for your questions, I'm just a busy person . Sorry. :(

Burke~

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  12. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Well, Burke... I am having serious permission errors trying to install the newest updates... on your SUSE package.

I mean it runs fine... but doesnt seem like I can do anything new with it?

EVen the Suse forum mods are baffeled suggesting the image is hacked or whatever... now I know it wouldnt be that if you posted it here... but do you have any idea what's going on?

Here is the forum link...

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=50173&st=20&#entry214577

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I run Solaris here and barely know it's running - it's far less demanding than Windows and frequently run Windows and Solaris at the same time as I do a lot of compiles with it. It's more on par with the Linux distros I've installed. It doesn't hurt to shut down a lot of stuff that's not needed if it's running, but Solaris installs with little turned on. I wonder what your install was churning on. The screen scaling was definitely a struggle.

14. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Macbook, not pro or iMac.
    I cannot test anything els other than Macbook. (and it works fine)
    Although it's hard to say why you cannot do updates. When I made It, I did updates. However I havn't used it since... So I cannot test it now. There will be a new Suse not to far away anyways. ;)

Dkp. I have the Core Duo 2Ghz with 1.25GB of RAM. I choose the Java desktop and I think thats whats doing it.. however I'll try again when I get a sec. However I am new to S., so it might be a while to get it tuned and running.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The Java desktop is pretty much Sun's version of Gnome and it's definitely a busy desktop. I have a screen shot of Sol 10 in Parallels running alongside Sol 10 running in VMWare Fusion, both running prstat (similar to top) and an OS X top session to show relative cpu/memory usage if you're interested. These sessions are running CDE. I can also share my xorg.conf file to help with the screen resolution problem. I'm running 1400x850 to allow room for borders as I run them in windows.

Also running Core Duo with 2g ram in a MBP.

16. nws86

nws86 Bit poster

Great Job on these images! I'm downloading the ubuntu610 image and the fedora core 6 image. I need to write some scripts using fedora core and this will allow me to work at home instead of the labs. I'm using a blackbook core duo with 2 gigs of ram so it should all be set when I get them up. I also have vista business installed right now and love parallels! I can't wait for the new version to allow full aero features.

17. rzinnato

rzinnato Bit poster

not getting mouse control back after exiting Xubuntu VM

I'm new here, and I think the subject line says it all. I'm using the Xubuntu VM downloaded from BitTorrent on a Macbook running the latest Parallels beta and when I shutdown Xubuntu, I'm not getting mouse control back. I can Alt-Enter back from fullscreen mode, but the only way I can get mouse control back is to Force Quit Parallels. Thankfully I have keyboard control, but no mouse control. I don't even see a cursor. And then I get a 1+GB memory dump file. Any ideas?

18. ae6dx

ae6dx Hunter

Newbie question here. I have never used Linux before. Which of these do I need?

19. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Well... you dont NEED any of them...

But if you want to play around and yer a newbie....

I suggest openSuse.

But don't grab this distro unless you have an original macbook. It doesnt seem to do so well with the Pro or iMac.

Google openSuSe and find the Novell website.

Search around and find the one called DVD.iso

Thats the full baby.

Download it.... and then run Parallels by the book like for windows, only pic Linux and SuSE when setting it up.

I gave mine a 20GB size fixed.

512 Ram.

Worked flawless and almost as easy as an XP install.

Enjoy !

20. bluloo

bluloo Member

Wanted to say thanks for this.

Very nice.

:)