Can't Print from XP VM after Upgrade to Leopard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MrLynn, May 5, 2009.

1. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33GHz 4MB, Parallels 4.0.3810 running XP Pro SP3.

After upgrading last night from OS 10.4.11 to 10.5.6, I find I cannot print from XP to either printer on the TCP/IP network.

Had to re-locate the printers on the Mac after the upgrade, but now they work fine from the Mac OS.

Tried re-installing Parallels Tools, but that didn't help.

What's wrong?

/Mr Lynn

PS If you open the shared printer(s) in XP, you see the document you tried to print, with the cryptic word 'Error' next to it. Not much help.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. desgael

desgael Pro

3. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

Printer 1: HP 4000 Series, connected to Mac via TCP/IP (uses HP's JetDirect, not Bonjour).

Printer 2: Brother 440MFC, connected to Mac via TCP/IP (uses Brother driver). Bonjour sees this printer, but nothing happens when I try to print; nothing in queue when I open printer.

Printer 1 is more important. Should I delete and try to re-add in Windows?

/Mr Lynn

4. desgael

desgael Pro

Yes, and in case, as it seems, there are any drivers installed in Windows for printer - uninstall them. Apple's bonjour uses Mac's drivers and shares the printer with guest Windows.

Installing Windows printer drivers would be necessary only if you try to set up printer connected directly to VM via USB (this method is also mentioned in the user guide).

5. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

OK, I deleted all the printers in the Print and Fax CP in Windows. Bonjour sees the Brother MFC, so I added it using the Bonjour Wizard, but still nothing shows up in the print queue.

In any case, the HP is more important; it's my default printer. It is not a Bonjour printer; on the Mac I set it up using an IP address. The Leopard install did wipe out all my printers, so I had to add the two, plus PageSender Fax.

XP in Parallels saw the HP fine with Tiger (10.4.11) but not since I upgraded to Leopard last night. If I click on Devices -> Parallel Port 1, I can select the HP 4000. But it doesn't show up in XP printer dialogues, nor in the Printers and Faxes window. It used to.

BTW, when I launch the XP VM, I get this error message on the Mac screen:

I don't know what MacFUSE is; it seems to be a developer tool. Could this be related to the printer problem?

/Mr Lynn

6. desgael

desgael Pro

This must mean that Bonjour is not able to share a network printer. In that case, make sure that the network mode (in Virtual machine -> Configure -> Network adapter 1) is set to bridged and try the following method of printer setup, you will have to set up Windows to recognize the printer:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23529.htm

As for the MacFuse, that could be important if it was an issue with access to a bootcamp partition, but regarding printers I do not think it is related.

7. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

REPORTING BACK:

Sorry for the delay. In brief, your suggestion to switched from Shared to Bridged networking worked. It wasn't clear to me which of the three Bridged options, but I tried the top one. Initially I couldn't find the printer, but after a few tries, using the LAN IP address, I got the XP VM to see the HP 4100 laser printer. But then (bad news!) my VPN connection to our office stopped working. I then remembered that you had to be in Shared networking for VPN.

However (good news!), when I switched back to Shared networking, not only did I get my VPN back, but the printer continued to show up!

So all is well now. Thanks for the help. Is there a FAQ somewhere I could (or should) have accessed to tell me what to do after a host-machine OS upgrade?

/Mr Lynn

8. jezzab

jezzab Bit poster

I have a similar problem but I do not know, and do not know how to find out, my printer port ip address and port name??

9. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

If you have an HP printer, you can print the configuration page and it will give you the network specifics.

For other printers, see the manual(s).

/Mr Lynn

10. jezzab

jezzab Bit poster

Thanks but I have resolved the problem. Printer was not recognized but I had ESET Security firewall enabled and it was blocking the port. Turned it off and Bonjour rfound and installed the printer. Whoopee!