NTFS drive reading

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Zwilnik, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Bit poster

This might be something blocked by Microsoft information hiding etc. but I'd like to be able to take the NTFS formatted drive out of my now redundant PC and put it in a FW/USB drive case and read it from Parallels. Normally an NTFS drive won't even show up on the OS X desktop.

Talking of drives, it's kind of annoying that Parallels 'captures' the optical drive when it's running (if your configuration uses that drive). If I need to use it on the Mac side while Parallels is running I need to stop the PC first. Is there any way for the drive to be seen by both?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

The drive isn't going to be seen by both at the same time, but there should be no need to stop the PC. Just disconnect the drive from the VM and it should work in OSX.

3. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Bit poster

Yes, that's what I do at the moment, but it requires stopping the VM which is a bit of a pain. I've taken to leaving the DVD drive permanently disabled on the VM as I rarely need to read a PC disk anyway.

4. neutrino15

neutrino15 Junior Member

Yes, one feature that I want really bad is an option (when you put in a drive) to either mount it in parallels or mount it in OSX.

It would be cool though (and probably impossible) to use OSX's filesystem altogeather!

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

I do it without stopping the VM. Why do you feel stopping is necessary?

6. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Bit poster

Unless you stop the VM you can't disable the optical drive and if the optical drive is enabled in the VM, then OS X can't see the disk in it.

7. palter

palter Hunter

You don't need to enable/disable the drive. Simply connect/disconnect it.

8. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Bit poster

Ah right. I didn't notice the stuff on the menus :) (I only saw the configuration itself).

Ok, that makes this particular thread just a wish to be able to plug in and read NTFS drives in Parallels then :)