Can I uninstall Parallels from my Bootcamp install?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fbx, Jul 23, 2010.

1. fbx

fbx Hunter

I have Parallels 5 and just set up a VM using my Bootcamp installation. Well, I don't like it much, seems awfully slow, and I'm wary of having my data on Bootcamp install corrupted or otherwise messed up.

So I'd like to DISCONNECT my Parallels setup from Bootcamp. I will them do a full on VM in MacOSX with NO CONNECTION to Bootcamp Win 7 installation.

Problem is: I don't know how to disconnect the Parallels 5 program from the Bootcamp installation, remove any/all files and changes Parallels might have made in my Bootcamp installation, and so forth.

Is there an instruction for this somewhere? Or is it as simple as deleting the Bootcamp VM in Parallels? Won't that leave a lot of Parallels-related files in my Bootcamp install?

Thanks--

2. fbx

fbx Hunter

Anybody have information on UNINSTALLING a Bootcamp install of Parallels 5?

3. Hart

Hart Bit poster

First I should warn you that I'm no Parallels expert. I've been researching intensively trying to decide how to install Windows 7 in a new iMac so I've been gathering a lot of information regarding Parallels, Fusion, Bootcamp and all the variables in virtualization.

That said I believe that if what you are trying to do is possible and you create a new Windows VM that is separate from your Bootcamp install you will have to purchase a new Windows License. Just as an FYI. It's possible/probable that Windows will see a VM separate from your Bootcamp install as a distinct installation of Windows. So it might be worth taking the time to get your install working correctly.

If your virtual machine is running slowly and you're not doing anything terribly taxing you probably have some settings arranged incorrectly. Most indicators are that Parallels should be running impressively fast (I just finished reading an extensive article regarding performance benchmarks at MacTech magazine which found Parallels to be very fast.) You don't specify what Mac you're using but I gather that there are some counter-intuitive factors in assigning memory and processors to your virtual machine. It may be that you just need to do some tinkering.

4. OC_Don

OC_Don Junior Member

Here is a very long (72 entries) thread that may enlighten you concerning your "Parallels 5 ... Bootcamp installation ... awfully slow" issue: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=98762&page=1

But to cut to the relevant resolution (unfortunately with no help from Parallels) please see entry #69 on page 4,
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=98762&page=4

Notice several positive comments following #69.

If such works for you, then would you still want to remove your Bootcamp vm?

Also, here is my experience moving my copy of Vista HB from broken hardware into a vm. Since the hardware was dead, the only thing I could do was use my cd copy to load the new vm I was creating. I was prepared to explain to Microsoft my situation, if necessary. The license does say something single machine usage, thus I was not violating the terms of the license by installing a (new) "copy" into a vm because the previous "copy" was no longer usable on dead (like processor AND disk drive) hardware.

Interesting though, was that when I registered the (new) vm copy using the key I had used previously, Microsoft (ie the registration process) did not complain. Further, when I verified as "genuine" it was and I downloaded the Essential Security Suite available only to verified genuine users!

As you may know Microsoft has tightened up their op sys copies security after a $2 billion counterfeit ring bust. Yeah, Microsoft makes billions, but should someone else be making billions with absolutely NO r&d? Plus the counterfeit copies having backdoors, key stroke spies, root kits and whatever else makes the whole thing a trojan horse! But, I digress. :cool:

So, bottom line, I would first try to "tune" your current installation. If you get acceptable "performance" improvement, then from what I read, the uninstall becomes moot.

If you do decide to uninstall, I would create a new vm using the media copy to create the vm. There is a grace period of 30 days, plus you can rearm 3 times for a total grace period of 120 days (try before you buy kind of thing), before you would have to register your "new" vm "copy" (or the os shuts down if you don't).

Then, what I did (when the x32 RC version I was using would no longer work) was add the Bootcamp partition as a 2nd hard drive to the vm. Then basically you have 2 (or maybe more?) options at this point: copy your relevant files into the new vm, then blow away the Bootcamp partition (which i eventually did over the course of 3 months). Then, you can legally (honestly) register your new copy. Or, just try registering your new vm and see what happens - I think you will find there is really no problem.

I read some where that registration includes a "hardware signature" (specific information about the hardware the os is on) and since you have not really changed hardware, to Microsoft it would look like a reload (which I am sure thousands of people do each day for various reasons, I know I have). Also, with Vista/Win7 I believe (I also think I read this somewhere) WGA does a check to verify os serial # is unique and not being used on multiple computers. If there is problem, it won't be verified as genuine, it just gets locked out from Microsoft sites, the user is warned, but the os is not rendered useless. Also, I think it gives you telephone number to call if there is a problem you would like to resolve. Microsoft has said their WGA is so good there have been only a "small" number of false positives and those were resolved within 24 hours from being contacted.

So, I hope this helps to show that you really don't have much to worry about, imo.