Windows 7 Premium or Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Eric Kardon, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Eric Kardon

Eric Kardon Bit poster

I just bought Parallels for Mac 5.0 to install on my MacBook Pro 2.66 w/ 8 GB RAM. I decided on a 64 bit version of Windows 7 to take advantage of the extra RAM, but did not know whether I should purchase the Professional or Premium version. I saw a table of the differences, but am not sure if the extra features of Pro would apply to me. The main one of interest is the XP Virtual machine. I would appreciate any help or opinions from anyone.

Thanks in advance.

EK

2. solus

solus Member

I have been running Windows XP under Parallels 5, and I'm also interested in installing Windows 7.

My intention is to have a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7, and one or more VMs under Parallels (not BootCamp VMs). Is there a particular version that is better than others when it comes to setting up under Parallels and Boot Camp?

I throught I read a while ago that only the Ultimate version could be virtualized, but that might have been for Vista and not Win 7. It might also have been a license issue, and not a technical one.

Is anyone running Windows 7 in a way similar to what I've mentioned above?

It is better to get the full Win7 or is an Upgrade version okay?

What about Premium, Professional or Ultimate? Are there any differences when it comes to VMs? I believe there were license issues with some Win7 copies not allowing VM instances ... meaning, Microsoft doesn't allow it.