3120: Cannot upgrade new XP VM to Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by etrigan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. etrigan

etrigan Bit poster

I have a copy of Vista Business upgrade via the MS Action Pack. It does not allow you to install itself clean: you *must* upgrade an existing OS.

In build 3120, I tried the following:

Clean install of XP w/ SP1 in a vista VM. Hangs at installing devices.
    Clean install of XP w/ SP1 in a XP VM. Installs fine. Unfortunately, Vista won't upgrade it, saying that ACPI is not enabled. Changing the settings in the VM from XP to Vista doesn't enable the upgrade to proceed either.

Any workarounds for this? I'd rate this one critical..

Alan.

2. brokenbottle

brokenbottle Bit poster

That's really unusual. Are you sure that you can't just show it your XP cd when it comes time to verify that you qualify for the upgrade?

3. etrigan

etrigan Bit poster

First thing I've tried. They've changed the behaviour in Vista.

4. Sirreal

Sirreal Junior Member

Me too... upgrading from XP to Vista, via upgrade CD

"This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACIP....."

Any ideas guys?

5. etrigan

etrigan Bit poster

*bump* - any thoughts?

6. jt_1017

jt_1017 Bit poster

I ran into this same problem. I am getting the same error about the ACPI module when trying to upgrade XP Pro to VIsta.

7. imij

imij Bit poster

Me too, can't install Vista Business upgrade over Win XP VM whether it's set to Win XP or Vista, just get the following:

"You must make the following changes before installing Windows
    This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer."

8. kauwek

kauwek Bit poster

I'm trying this: not sure if it works, but it's installing now:
    1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.
    2. Click “Install Now.”
    3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.
    4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.
    5. Install Vista normally.
    6. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.
    7. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

9. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

You can't use Upgrade Vista CD to install fresh. This something that MS decided to do. To do fresh install you must have full product. It has been reported on the net. Also after installing over fresh/existing XP makes the XP useless since after the upgrade to Vista you will not be able to install this XP on other machine. Well more like activate.... There was some articled about this on theregister.co.uk. It is not a problem with Parallels.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070128-8717.html

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  10. seanhelmes

seanhelmes Bit poster

Same issue is occuring

I have come across this same issue. I have tried over and over again to install Windows Vista Ultimate from a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and this annoying message continually pops up. This is critical to fix and if someone from Parallels could address this issue it would be much appreciated.

11. kauwek

kauwek Bit poster

SUCCSESS. it worked. used this method with buisiness upgrade:

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.
    2. Click “Install Now.”
    3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.
    4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.
    5. Install Vista normally.
    6. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.
    7. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

12. kauwek

kauwek Bit poster

To install the tools you have to install in safe mode or it will Lockup on Boot. This is what I did:
    Boot in VISTA
    Start the tools install
    Copy the instalation files to your desktop
    Run msconfig
    Select safe mode
    Boot into safe mode
    Execute PrlTools.exe
    install tools as normal
    Run msconfig
    Select normal boot
    reboot
    This worked for me and I can boot without lock up

13. trotsky

trotsky Bit poster

Kind of falls apart at that point because the Vista Business Upgrade I have won't boot...

Looked for an upgrade switch that disables the ACPI check but there isn't one - Vista requires ACPI to be present.

14. mellingham

mellingham Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with the Vista Business upgrade DVD. I have tried the steps outlined above (pressing F5 during install) but no matter what ACPI option I select (MP/UP etc) the installation hangs or shuts down altogether.

It's very odd as I have the Vista Beta running fine so that installer obviously detects ACPI compliant hardware when the XP install does not.

Would love for someone from Parallels Team to take a look at this one -- it's the only thing stopping me from making the purchase!

15. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

16. kauwek

kauwek Bit poster

OK, I installed buisiness upgrade but could not activate. I reinstalled using rjgebis instructions and was able to activate VISTA buisiness upgrade: Here are the instructions:

# Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    # When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    # When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
    # Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    # This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    # When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    # Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

17. dentate

dentate Member

I guess I outsmarted myself by getting the Vista Ultimate upgrade as a download. I can't boot from the file! If anyone can suggest how to make a bootable CD (or DVD) from the downloaded files, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

18. iVelocity

iVelocity Bit poster

I have to say it was this thread that helped me get Vista Business onto my Macbook.

Thank heavens for this forum - I now have MacOSX, WinXP and WinVista as options for my work.
    :)

19. philwells

philwells Bit poster

What if I just want to upgrade XP? I've made a copy of the XP VM for Vista so I can use the original for troubleshooting customers still on XP. I dont want to have to reinstall all my apps in the new/Vista VM. How can I make the installer know all's well? And, I agree with another poster - I have Vista RC working fine in another VM (maybe I should just use that and skip this Action Pack Vista Upgrade?

20. iVelocity

iVelocity Bit poster

That's pretty much the conclusion I had come up with.

I could find no way to actually upgrade my copy of XP VM to Vista and so was contemplating sticking with Vista RC until a solution came along.

Since I hadn't got that many apps in XP it was no hardship to go the clean install route with the Vista Business Upgrade disk when that workaround was discovered.

I suspect that with a little patience, Parallels may well come up with a solution to the upgrade problem. Till then, you could always do a clean install so you can play with the official release of vista.