Can't activate My BootCamp Windows 7 (64 bit) under Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SaeedB, May 18, 2010.

1. SaeedB

SaeedB Bit poster

Hi,

I've just finished installing Parallels Desktop 5 on my Mac Pro machine (8 cores and 32 GB RAM) in hope to use my legal Windows 7 (64 bit) previously installed via BootCamp. After installing Paralles Desktop and running my BootCamp Windows, I was asked to reactivate my Windows product key. However, when I do so, I get a denial message saying

"The product key must be activated with new hardware

Windows detected a change in hardware or hardware driver. Validation requires that the hardware and Windows product key match what has been registered. To change the hardware your Windows product key is registered to use the automated phone system to activate."

I should mention that the Parallel Tools in properly installed in my Virtual machine.

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

2. GurGinator

GurGinator Bit poster

not that this is helpful, but apparently bootcamp and parallels run on different hardware.

Getting a new iMac i5 and was planning on installing windows 7 via bootcamp with the hopes of being able to run it through parallels. I'm pretty hesitant at this point. Seems a lot of people are having the same issue

3. SaeedB

SaeedB Bit poster

But I already fixed the problem on my system. I just needed to activate the Windows under Parallels via phone activation. The process it too quick and takes almost no time. Now, I can use Single license of Windows 7 on my Mac Pro and under both bootcamp and Parallels. It works like charm! I love it!

4. GurGinator

GurGinator Bit poster

so would you suggest going ahead and installing windows 7 via bootcamp. then installing parallels and calling to activate windows.

who do you call??

5. SaeedB

SaeedB Bit poster

Based on my experience, I don't think you won't face any problem to run Win7 installed on Bootcamp to run under Parallels 5. The process for phone activation is very simple and straightforward. The phone number you need to call is dependent on where you live. Please follow the instruction in the following link to activate the Win7 under Parallels via phone: http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Mind before going ahead with installation of Parallels:
    If you are've already installed the Windows 7 version 64 bit, I would strongly suggest you to make sure you have updated your Bootcamp to version 3.1. It allows you to enjoy the real features of a 64 bit Windows systems on your Bootcamp partition. For more info go to: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl979

Good luck!

6. GurGinator

GurGinator Bit poster

would you happen to know if I could install win7 via parallels first (because my priority is to be able to run it side by side OSX) and then install via bootcamp to have the option to run it that way

7. SaeedB

SaeedB Bit poster

Well I don't think it would be a wise way for running single Windows under both Bootcamp and Parallels. In this case, your parallels partition will differ from your bootcamp one. So you cant access your Windows files at same path, and some of your data files will only be on one of the Win partitions (depending on where you have created it). Moreover, when you install windows via Parallels, there is always a risk that any system failure may cause probelm to your Mac OS X. If you are so hesitant about license activation. I suggest you to first install windows via Bootcap, so you have a separate partition for your Win7. HOWEVER after installation keep you windows INACTIVATED. At this point leave your Bootcamp and return to your Mac OSX. Install Parallels, and then follow the procedure to host and run your Bootcamp windows via Parallels. After all settings (e.g. Installing Parallel tools), activate your Windows online under Parallels. As you have not yet activated your Win license, you should not have any problem.
    In case you were going to use your Windows under Bootcamp, then you need to do phone activation, as described in my previous reply!

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. solus

solus Member

What version of Windows 7 did you use? Professional? Was it a retail copy or System Builder (OEM)?

I haven't found much information regarding the differences when it comes to virtualization through Parallels, although it seems like the OEM version would be more difficult to activate in VMs.

Ideally, I would be able to install under Boot Camp, and then access that partition through Parallels. On top of that, I would be interested in creating additional VMs using the same OS (for testing software, development environments, etc). Everything on the same physical hardware.

I'm worried that I'll need to activate the OS under all those circumstances. Will cloning an existing VM de-activate the OS?

I personally don't care about EULA, but I do want WGA to pass, as I always keep my OS up-to-date.

9. izzy a

izzy a Bit poster

I definitely agree. it wouldnt be good for running single Windows under Bootcamp and Parallels.

10. StephB

StephB Bit poster

11. joshr1124

joshr1124 Bit poster

Why is there a risk that the system failure will cause aproblem to the mac os? how do i install bootcap. THANKS