registered Parallels 5 bugs me to register!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Juggernart, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Juggernart

Juggernart Member

I recently updated my registered(!) Parallels 5 to the latest build 9370 (It said there's this update available, so I did it).

Now my previously registered Parallels 5 bugs me that I have to register it!
    When I try to register, it don't work and says it cannot be registered because of a wrong activation key.
    When I open the "about Parallels Desktop" window it says: "This is an active copy of Parallels Desktop. Licensed to: 'my name'"

I don't get what's wrong? Is this a bug in the latest build?

2. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson Bit poster

me too

I'm registered. This started happening after the last upgrade.

3. grembo

grembo Bit poster

Exactly the same is happening here.

I checked my parallels account profile, and the key is registered there. Also double checked if it is the correct key (from the E-Mail back in late 2009). So everything seems ok, I guess parallels has a problem here.

If it makes a difference: I upgraded from the German version of Parallels 4 to the English version of Parallels 5 (Snow Leopard 10.6.4). Purchased the upgrade license online.

4. bpran

bpran Bit poster

same problem

I have the same problem!

5. Richard Smuts

Richard Smuts Bit poster

I started experiencing the same issue today, Parallels has worked fine and I recently updated it to the latest build, however today it's started saying that it cannot update since it's not registered, and any attempts to re-register (Parallels Account site states the product is already registered) results in it telling me that the activation code is invalid (it's a Parallels 4 to 5 upgrade code, if that matters).

Sounds like there's a problem with the latest version.

6. Brad Luckenbill

Brad Luckenbill Bit poster

Ditto

I am having the same issue after the update, no response to my support ticket yet.

7. emental

emental Junior Member

Had the same problem, but it is gone already

8. tzw

tzw Bit poster

same here

I had the same issue with parallels 5, build 9344, and opened at ticket.

Engineer said it was due to me being on hughesnet satellite, that they were blocking a port. I asked which port so I could contact hughesnet, and they could not tell me.

I guess it is more a latency issue when parallels does the update check. To upgrade, I will have to download the new build and uninstall, and reinstall, unless someone knows a better way.

9. grembo

grembo Bit poster

Problem disappeared here as well. I guess it was a server-side problem at Parallels.

10. Juggernart

Juggernart Member

It's still happening to me. The register window just came up again.

11. ChristineW

ChristineW Bit poster

I just switched to Parallels 5 from VMWare Fusion -- I was getting the same message and started a support ticket. I was told to re-install Parallels from a link they sent me but now I can't get it to load because it's telling me I have to install Windows again. I've been waiting for 2 days for someone to get back to me from support but so far nothing.....I have a business to run and as of today and 1 day late with payroll and counting......

12. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Reinstalling Parallels Desktop does not erase your existing virtual machines. Therefore you should be able to find the existing virtual machines (maybe at ~/Documents/Parallels/ or /Users/Shared/Parallels/) and add them to the Virtual Machine List window.

13. ChristineW

ChristineW Bit poster

Thanks for your reply joevt; bare with me while I try to explain what I see. (I'm an accountant -- not that great with computers :))

When I'm at ~Documents/Parallels/, the only thing listed is "windows 7.pvm". When I double click that, the Operating System Installation Assistant window comes up. Is there somewhere else I'm supposed to look??

Day 3 after my support ticket was "escalated" and I have yet to hear from anyone.......

14. MartaG

MartaG Bit poster

5.0 good activation key won't register

Hello all,

My issues are:
    1) It wont register my 5.0 full license clean install from 4.0. I tried all my email addresses; it tells me another user has this install registered to them.
    2) I can't load Kaspersky antivirus that is included in 5.0 because of the same issue. By the way on my other machines I have Kaspersky 2010. I have used them for the past 5 years.
    3) Parallels after 3 weeks has yet to issue the 10 digit support key to take care of this issue.
    4) On the Parallels registration website it also does not recognize my 5.0 nor will it let me register it.

:(

I run ATT broadband and Verizon Mobile Broad Band on a MacBook Air 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 10.6.4 host OS, my virtual OS is XP SP1 64Bit (good until 2014) it will not take under either ISP. I'm an advanced Windows user and new to Mac (but I'm getting there).

Seems to me this forum should be checked by the Parallels people instead of trying to get us to buy support for what is obviously a buggy program.

UPSET TO THE MAX. I use this machine for school and have a freking Thesis to write. I can't do research online for fear of viruses.

Why should I have to fork out more money for what should work right out of the box?????

15. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

windows 7.pvm is a virtual machine file. Is this the virtual machine you were using ok before? Did you have a working virtual machine in Parallels Desktop 5? Did you convert a VMWare Fusion virtual machine to Parallels? You can examine the contents of the .pvm by right clicking it and selecting "Show Package Contents". Does the .pvm contain an .hdd virtual hard disk file? If so, you can right click it and select "Open with Parallels Mounter". A disk will appear in the Finder. Does it contain a Windows folder full of Windows files? If Windows is not installed then you need to install Windows.

In Parallels Desktop, goto Windows -> Virtual Machine List. Are there any virtual machines listed? If so, then you can right click each of them and select "Show in Finder" to see where they are stored. If there's no virtual machines listed, you can drag the .pvm from the Finder into the Virtual Machine List window to add it. Then you can right click the .pvm and select Configure to view the settings.

You have a Mac now so you don't have to use Windows or Internet Explorer to surf the internet or download files. I use Parallels for the programs I can't use on Mac.

16. ChristineW

ChristineW Bit poster

I originally used VMWare Fusion which I converted to a trial version of Parallels 2 months ago. I landed up ordering Parallels Desktop 5 on-line about 6 weeks ago and activated my trial version with the key they emailed me. Everything has been working fine other than the fact that I couldn't register my copy because I kept getting an error message that my activation key was in-valid and therefore I couldn't register it.

I just tried the 1st part of your suggestion and this is the message I got when I selected "Open with Parallel Mounter":
    --Parallels Mounter is unable to open the virtual hard disk. Either the hard disk has no volumes or its file system is not supported or contains errors. Start your virtual machine and check the disk for file system errors.

Windows 7 is on the Virtual Machine List but nothing happens when I right click on it. Maybe the guy from Parallels support was wrong when he said none of my programs would be lost.....

BTW, I really appreciate your help joevt!!

17. ChristineW

ChristineW Bit poster

I think I got it figured out; I did a search in Finder for Windows and there were actually two .pvm files. One was called Windows 7 and the other was Windows 7 (1). Parallels was trying to open the Windows 7 one and it wasn't working but when I right clicked the other one and opened with Parallels Mounter, it worked. **fingers crossed**